• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Marshmallow screwed up my phone

bds1958

Got the upgrade to 6.0 last night for my 5.
After it installed and unlocked the device for the first time it went into a "Play Services wont start" loop which no matter what I tried it just would not go away. I spent all evening trying to solve. In desperation I turned off and went to bed.
Turned on earlier and now all I get is the "System UI cant load" error message when I turn on.

Looks like I will be doing a "Factory Reset" tonight unless anyone can help me.

Thanks.

Assuming you are completely stock, and got the OTA (rather than trying to sideload the OTA file)

Before performing a factory reset, you may want to try wiping the cache partition
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9578
Did a factory reset and it booted back into Marshmallow. I started to go through the set up procedure and got to the connect to my router. Put in the password and the phone is now stuck on the "checking connection" screen. The status bar at the top shows I'm connected but the "checking connection" screen will not go so I can go no further. This is the worse "upgrade" I've ever had to deal with.
Can somebody help me before Android gets thrown out of the window.

Tried again wiping both the cache partition and trying another "factory reset". Still reboots into Marshmallow instead of the version it left the factory with. Why is that?

Getting extremely frustrated. I've now got a device that's as good as " bricked".Thanks Google.

A factory reset will not revert back to previous firmware. It will basically get your OS back to the last firmware/OS that was installed ("clean install")

So, at this time, what is the exact issue? Are you stuck at "checking connection"? or are you getting play services error like in your first post?

Stuck on "checking connection". It says it may "take a while". How long is "a while"?
I've currently got it running on the checking connection screen. Shall I leave it running?

Left it running for over 2 hours before I tried your suggestion...... still no luck. It connects to my router, no problem, but it won't go past that bl**dy "checking connection" screen. I've set it going again and will leave it running all night.

Turned on after leaving it running all night and got the welcome choose language screen. Chose UK again and it went straight to the "checking connection" screen. Wi fi appears connected. I'll leave running all day now and see what happens next.

Last edited:
Did another clear system cache, factory reset then connected to a different router and it still hangs on the "checking connection" screen.

What else can I try?

Good job I kept my old Nexus 4 on Lollipop with no chance of this cr*p upgrade. Should I install 6.0 on my Nexus 7 when it comes through? Don't want another expensive table mat/door stop.

While it is a lot to take in, it's actually quite easy, if not a bit tedious. It's very hard to brick a Nexus, so I wouldn't worry about that. It does sound like something wasn't installed properly it the update.

I put a tutorial together for a Nexus 6 owner, but it works the same for the N5 (Just make sure you use the right firmware ... you'll want THIS file for the Nexus 5)

I'd be happy to walk you through it, if you'd like. :)

Just read the instructions.............looks quite complicated. Didn't understand a lot of it.

I understand if it goes wrong I "brick" the phone.
So I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Another option is to use the Nexus Root Toolkit. It walks you through getting the phone and your computer talking together, then automates flashing your phone.

Sorry - couldn't check/respond - was out of town for a few days.
Before installing the factory image, maybe try one thing out - on your router, remove any MAC filtering you may have, or if possible, set up a separate access point (without a password) and try connecting to it.

Is your SIM card provisioned for data access? If so, don't try to connect to WiFi, and let it connect to the mobile data and see if it can connect.

Edit: Try calling Google and ask for help! "Contact us" link at https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en#topic=3415518 (top right)

Last edited:
I assume you connect your phone to your PC before starting the Toolkit?

It isn't strictly necessary; though it is best if you get USB Debugging turned on and the phone connected. The "Initial Setup" step walks you through getting the correct drivers installed on your PC and the phone working.

It isn't strictly necessary; though it is best if you get USB Debugging turned on and the phone connected. The "Initial Setup" step walks you through getting the correct drivers installed on your PC and the phone working.

Can't turn on USB debugging when my phone wont go past the "checking connection" screen.

Another option is to use the Nexus Root Toolkit. It walks you through getting the phone and your computer talking together, then automates flashing your phone.

Tried using this but I never get the option to push the "flash factory settings" as the phone reboots back into the faulty state it's been in since I upgraded.
Can't turn off MTP mode as well.

Sorry - couldn't check/respond - was out of town for a few days.
Before installing the factory image, maybe try one thing out - on your router, remove any MAC filtering you may have, or if possible, set up a separate access point (without a password) and try connecting to it.

Is your SIM card provisioned for data access? If so, don't try to connect to WiFi, and let it connect to the mobile data and see if it can connect.

Edit: Try calling Google and ask for help! "Contact us" link at https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en#topic=3415518 (top right)
Mac filtering was already disabled.
Tried SIM card route early on but that never worked.
Looks like I'm going to have to contact Google.

I appreciate all the suggestions to date but this is driving me up the wall.

I just want to wipe the phone completely and start again.

Why is it so difficult?

Try booting it directly into fastboot mode. Wug's toolkit should recognize it then. To flash the factory firmware, that's all you really need anyway. All debugging gets you is th adb command to boot to fastboot. To put it into fastboot mode for the N5, I believe it's, with the phone off, press and hold the volume up, volume down and power keys until it boots to the fastboot screen like this

DSC02153.jpg

It may be tricky - if the phone's bootloader is currently locked.
With Lollipop, I think we need to enable the "Allow OEM Unlock" flag in dev settings before bootloader can be unlocked. And op can't get to dev settings because phone doesn't boot up.

Back
Top Bottom