• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Marshmallow screwed up my phone

It may be tricky - if the phone's bootloader is currently locked.
With Lollipop, I think we need to enable the "Allow OEM Unlock" flag in dev settings before bootloader can be unlocked. And op can't get to dev settings because phone doesn't boot up.

True enough, but that would only prevent flashing the bootloader. I think you should still be able to flash the rom with a locked bootloader ... emphasis on "I think". o_O

Try booting it directly into fastboot mode. Wug's toolkit should recognize it then. To flash the factory firmware, that's all you really need anyway. All debugging gets you is th adb command to boot to fastboot. To put it into fastboot mode for the N5, I believe it's, with the phone off, press and hold the volume up, volume down and power keys until it boots to the fastboot screen like this

DSC02153.jpg
I can get to this screen using the volume up/down & power.

So I just push the button (which one) in the toolkit and it should do it?

Once you are in fastboot mode, plug your phone into your PC and fire up Wug's Toolkit. You will see this screen after you make sure the binaries and source files are up-to-date.
wugs1.jpg

Make VERY sure it displays the correct model and firmware for your device. Since I have a Nexus 6, mine displays what I got. Remember, it doesn't poll the device to see what's installed, only what your last selection was, so while this shows Lollipop, I have Marshmallow on my phone. For this step for you I'd highly recommend using whatever the last version of firmware you were running and don't try to upgrade to the latest until you have the thing up and running.

You'll also want to check the soft-Bricked option which doesn't require the bootloader be unlocked.

You'll then see this ...

wugs2.jpg

If your information is backed up, I'd really recommend the full wipe.

I hope this works out for you. Keep us posted. :)

So I could go back to Lollipop? At least that worked.
Haven't sat down to try it as I need a bit of uninterrupted free time.
I'll report back when I do.

You could, but once you get it running, you should probably flash the Marshmallow factory images. I'm sure your problem was something going wrong during the update, not Marshmallow itself.

Update...................................SUCCESS.
Followed your instructions lunatic59 and it worked.
Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and finally got me sorted. I'm now wiser for the experience.

:D:thumbsupdroid:

Bit of a long shot but could I use the Toolkit to upgrade my Nexus 4 & Nexus 10 from Lollipop to Marshmallow using the same process steps?

Bit of a long shot but could I use the Toolkit to upgrade my Nexus 4 & Nexus 10 from Lollipop to Marshmallow using the same process steps?

There would have to be a factory image for those two models and I don't believe there is. If a dev produces a Marshmallow ROM for either (I know there is one being worked for the Nexus 4), you could root, install TWRP an then flash the ROM. These are questions best asked in the forums for each of those devices. :)

Once you are in fastboot mode, plug your phone into your PC and fire up Wug's Toolkit. You will see this screen after you make sure the binaries and source files are up-to-date.
View attachment 95535

Make VERY sure it displays the correct model and firmware for your device. Since I have a Nexus 6, mine displays what I got. Remember, it doesn't poll the device to see what's installed, only what your last selection was, so while this shows Lollipop, I have Marshmallow on my phone. For this step for you I'd highly recommend using whatever the last version of firmware you were running and don't try to upgrade to the latest until you have the thing up and running.

You'll also want to check the soft-Bricked option which doesn't require the bootloader be unlocked.

You'll then see this ...

View attachment 95537

If your information is backed up, I'd really recommend the full wipe.

I hope this works out for you. Keep us posted. :)

How would you fix this for a Samsung Galaxy S7? Went to the Verizon store because my phone wouldn't do the update so they did a factory reset, essentially bricking my phone like BDS1958

Samsung Phones use a different tool set than Nexus devices. My question first is what this phone rooted or modified in any way? If you were stock and the store bricked it, I'd say they owe you a new phone.

If you give me the exact model number for your phone, I can look up the firmware for you.

I don't believe it was rooted. My phone is 2 months past warranty so the store said they couldn't do anything about it :/ The model number is SM-G935V

I don't believe it was rooted. My phone is 2 months past warranty so the store said they couldn't do anything about it :/ The model number is SM-G935V

Warranty or not, if I handed my phone to a shop to fix and they gave it back to me bricked, I'd raise bloody heck in a handbasket. There is plenty they can do about it including but not limited to a.)fix it or b.) replace it on their nickel. The problem is they couldn't pass this back to Samsung so they didn't want to take responsibility. I'd be seriously annoyed.

Now, that said, if you want to try and restore it yourself, you should be able to do it with Samsung's Smart Switch

Reinstall or find original firmware with SmartSwitch

1. You will need your phone's Model number and Serial Number
(Both of these can be found under your battery or on the original box -- hope you kept it.)

2. Connect to SmartSwitch in DOWNLOAD MODE and go to MORE > Emergency Software Recovery and Initialization.

3. Put in your phone Name and Serial number.

4. If SmartSwitch will initialize your phone, accept.

5. SmartSwitch will now install the correct firmware for your phone.

Alternately you can try flashing it directly with Odin.

You can download the firmware at https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G935V/ and instructions will be on the download page.

Smart Switch would be the better option because it is Samsung's own tool and it isn't a throttled connection like Sammobile.

Warranty or not, if I handed my phone to a shop to fix and they gave it back to me bricked, I'd raise bloody heck in a handbasket. There is plenty they can do about it including but not limited to a.)fix it or b.) replace it on their nickel. The problem is they couldn't pass this back to Samsung so they didn't want to take responsibility. I'd be seriously annoyed.

Now, that said, if you want to try and restore it yourself, you should be able to do it with Samsung's Smart Switch

Reinstall or find original firmware with SmartSwitch

1. You will need your phone's Model number and Serial Number
(Both of these can be found under your battery or on the original box -- hope you kept it.)

2. Connect to SmartSwitch in DOWNLOAD MODE and go to MORE > Emergency Software Recovery and Initialization.

3. Put in your phone Name and Serial number.

4. If SmartSwitch will initialize your phone, accept.

5. SmartSwitch will now install the correct firmware for your phone.

Alternately you can try flashing it directly with Odin.

You can download the firmware at https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G935V/ and instructions will be on the download page.

Smart Switch would be the better option because it is Samsung's own tool and it isn't a throttled connection like Sammobile.
Thank you. I'll try it out when I get home

Is this something I can do with a Mac? or do I have to have a PC?

I'm not sure about smart switch, but Odin is PC-only. Sorry.
Just now able to try these steps you provided me. However after downloading Samsung Smart Switch, I don't see a "MORE" button to choose the Emergency Software Recovery and Initialization option
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 12.05.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 12.06.09 PM.png

Because this is a Mac, when the instructions say 'top left of screen' it may mean your whole screen and not just the open window. I'm sure it's got to be there, I just don't have access to a Mac to look for it.

Because this is a Mac, when the instructions say 'top left of screen' it may mean your whole screen and not just the open window. I'm sure it's got to be there, I just don't have access to a Mac to look for it.
Oh...there it is. I feel dumb now. Wasn't seeing the WHOLE picture. I shall continue now. Fingers crossed!

After switching in to Emergency software recovery and initialization. I put in my model number, then my S/N. But it says its incorrect and to try again. :/

Hmmm. Are you sure you've got the model and serial numbers exact? sometimes trailing spaces or special characters can mess up authentication. If you still have the box, I'd make sure they match. If you still get the error, then I think it's time to contact Samsung for a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom