• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MAXX Vehicle Mount

zoxxo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Issaquah, WA
Ok, I'm loving the MAXX, annoyed at the accessories. I picked up the RAZR tool box accessory kit when I got the phone. Every thing is OK except the vehicle mount. Basically you have to pop out the back piece to make the phone fit, but then the phone just hangs off of the USB connector and is just waiting for the sharp turn that will send it flyin across your car.

I know this phone is really new, but has anyone come across a vehicle mount for the MAXX that will hold it securley to the windshield and let me do all the cool android stuff in the car?

Thanks!

Eric

I too have the windshield mount, and don't have any issues with it. You have to remove the DRM from any case you may have it in to use the windshield mount properly (at least as far as I can tell), but other than that, no problems. I love it and I think it works great. Not sure if I understand what your issue with it is. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
I also have the Verizon Dash/Windshield mount and it works great! I am using the surface mount disc from my original Droid mount. By the way, I ended up "gluing" the disc to my dash, as the double stick tape originally supplied was worthless. The suction cup on the new Droid Maxx Mount is a great improvement over the last one. Excellent holding power.

Upvote 0
I also have the vehicle mount for my Maxx.. Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to get my Maxx in the thing with the silicone case on it.. The VZW salesperson got my phone in the actual dock I purchased with case on it, so maybe I am just being too gentle with trying to cram the phone in. It's made me keep my Maxx naked unless I am at the office.

BTW.. Mercedes, Can you please design an interior that is cellphone compatible... There is no place to mount the holder and have cable hidden. I Currently have the suction cup mounted to the disk, which I then crammed as far down into the front rear cupholder, and power cord going into the back seat cigarette lighter outlet. Other than occassionally sending phone and mount flying with my elbow, it's working.

Upvote 0
For those of you that got the vehicle mount to work, are you removing the inner piece of plastic? I can't get my MAXX to fit with the plastic piece in place and the USB cable won't slide into the connector on the phone. If I remove the plastic spacer then the phone is too lose and feels like it's going to fall out of the mount. Curious what other people are doing...

Upvote 0
I got the vehicle mount as well as the verizon cover for the max. Before the case I had to remove the inner lining and that made the razr loose, and not secured. Thats what prompted me to buy the case and it works flawlessly. The trick is to first angle in the part of the razr maxx that has the mini usb. then clip in the rest. In other words make sure the connections are secure. Might take a few times before you get the hang of it, after that...its secure, another nice feature is when I attach the devise it turns on GPS, I can't recall if that because of a program I installed called car dock Home v3 or if that was part of the original docking program, either way its perfect. Hope that helps

Reactions: zoxxo
Upvote 0
For those of you that got the vehicle mount to work, are you removing the inner piece of plastic? I can't get my MAXX to fit with the plastic piece in place and the USB cable won't slide into the connector on the phone. If I remove the plastic spacer then the phone is too lose and feels like it's going to fall out of the mount. Curious what other people are doing...

I got the basic case that cost $19

Upvote 0
I got the vehicle mount as well as the verizon cover for the max. Before the case I had to remove the inner lining and that made the razr loose, and not secured. Thats what prompted me to buy the case and it works flawlessly. The trick is to first angle in the part of the razr maxx that has the mini usb. then clip in the rest. In other words make sure the connections are secure. Might take a few times before you get the hang of it, after that...its secure, another nice feature is when I attach the devise it turns on GPS, I can't recall if that because of a program I installed called car dock Home v3 or if that was part of the original docking program, either way its perfect. Hope that helps

Can you please explain this? I purchased the navigational mount for the Maxx and I could not figure out a way to get it to fit with a case.....I didn't see any inner lining/spacer that could be removed either. Am I missing something? I also had the regular Razr before I got the MAXX and the navigational mount for the regular Razr did have a pice that could be removed to accomodate a case but for the life of me, I can't see any piece that can be removed for the navigational mount for the MAXX. If I did miss something, please help me (and others) out by explaining exactly what was removed because if there is something that can be removed, its hidden pretty well.

Reactions: al911er
Upvote 0
Can you please explain this? I purchased the navigational mount for the Maxx and I could not figure out a way to get it to fit with a case.....I didn't see any inner lining/spacer that could be removed either. Am I missing something? I also had the regular Razr before I got the MAXX and the navigational mount for the regular Razr did have a pice that could be removed to accomodate a case but for the life of me, I can't see any piece that can be removed for the navigational mount for the MAXX. If I did miss something, please help me (and others) out by explaining exactly what was removed because if there is something that can be removed, its hidden pretty well.

I am in the same boat as you. I have the Verizon glossy case (I love the case) on the box it states it is compatible with the vehicle mount. But it is not. I looked the mount all over and found no insert to remove (Razr mount only but not Razr Maxx??). I online chatted with a Verizon rep and she was basically worthless. So I called Verizon and talked to them. She looked at everything and finally told me to remove the case before putting in the mount. The box stating compatible with the vehicle mount seems to be untrue. :mad:

If someone has a tip or trick that will alllow the case enclosed Maxx to fit in the vehicle mount please share. :)

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat as you. I have the Verizon glossy case (I love the case) on the box it states it is compatible with the vehicle mount. But it is not. I looked the mount all over and found no insert to remove (Razr mount only but not Razr Maxx??). I online chatted with a Verizon rep and she was basically worthless. So I called Verizon and talked to them. She looked at everything and finally told me to remove the case before putting in the mount. The box stating compatible with the vehicle mount seems to be untrue. :mad:

If someone has a tip or trick that will alllow the case enclosed Maxx to fit in the vehicle mount please share. :)

hmmm, if you have bought the car dock there is a inner piece, might be hard to see it, but its there, it almost looks like its a thin double layer, you will also see 2 small tabs in the outer part. It will take some time to pry it open. Like I stated before, once I got the inner part off. The car dock fit my Razr Maxx with the case snug. One note you cannot pop the Razr onto the case then slide in the connector, you have to slightly angle the usb side in first and let it connect then push down the other part slowly into the mount. Do it slow at first until you get the hang of it.

Reactions: zoxxo
Upvote 0
Are we all talking about the vehicle mount for the RazrMaxx?
There is a different one for the RazrMaxx vs the Razr.
My Vehicle mount for the RazrMaxx did NOT have an inner lining (just a clear plastic film to prevent scratches during packaging)... And to put the phone in, it goes bottom first, then the top clips in.. After clipped in, simply push the connector block into the microusb port.

Upvote 0
Are we all talking about the vehicle mount for the RazrMaxx?
There is a different one for the RazrMaxx vs the Razr.
My Vehicle mount for the RazrMaxx did NOT have an inner lining (just a clear plastic film to prevent scratches during packaging)... And to put the phone in, it goes bottom first, then the top clips in.. After clipped in, simply push the connector block into the microusb port.

I'm starting to wonder if they are selling two different mounts. I picked up the RAZR Toolbox that had the desk mount, car mount, and a few other goodies, but I think I was sold the kit for the original RAZR. It has the extra plastic spacer that I removed so I could insert the MAXX, but it's very loose. I dropped by my Verizon store tonight and picked up the black gloss cover that Kilo7 suggested and now my MAXX fits just right in the car mount.

I'm now back on happy street... :D

Reactions: Kilo7
Upvote 0
I get it now. When I had my DX, the car mount had an inner plastic piece that you could remove so you could put the DX in the mount without having to remove the case from it. That said, there must be 2 mounts for the DRM, as the one I have does NOT have a removable inner plastic piece; you simply snap the DRM into the mount, and then side the power adapter into it. Viola, done.

Upvote 0
I get it now. When I had my DX, the car mount had an inner plastic piece that you could remove so you could put the DX in the mount without having to remove the case from it. That said, there must be 2 mounts for the DRM, as the one I have does NOT have a removable inner plastic piece; you simply snap the DRM into the mount, and then side the power adapter into it. Viola, done.

My Bionic and DX both had the exact same set-up on the vehicle mount with a plastic inner sleeve that pops out for use with a case. If that's not present then they must be selling two different mounts based on the size/thickness difference between the Razr & Maxx.

Upvote 0
So if they're not using suction cups, how are they securing the mount?

The downside to their product is the price. But if you don't plan on changing cars as often as you change phones, I personally think its a great investment. You have to buy the mount base for your specific car model and they usually have 2-3 dif designated locations for each car to mount. Then you buy the phone mount thats screwed onto the base mount and can also swivel to your viewing needs.

They customize mounts for almost every phone and news ones to come as well as have mounts for most cars on the road. Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones