• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Me" Contact Questions

Vlad Soare

Hello,

At the top of my contact list I have one called "ME". I understand that's where I can store my own details, either by entering them myself, or by synchronizing the phone with some account of mine, like Google, Facebook, or whatever.

First, what's the purpose of this contact? Why would I want to enter my own details into my own phone? I mean, it's not like I'm ever going to send myself an SMS or to call myself, is it? What's this contact supposed to be good for?

Second, how can I hide it from my contact list? If I don't use it (at least until I figure out the answer to the question above :D), then I would like not to see it at all. Is this possible? I tried to activate the option "only display contacts with phones", but it's still displayed, despite its having no phone number assigned.

The Android version is 4.4.2 with TouchWiz.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I expect the purpose is that it allows you to easily send your contact details to others. As for how to hide I don't know, because putting it at the top of the list and labelled "me" must be a Samsung feature (I've not met this with HTC or AOSP ROMs).

As for deleting posts, the trick is to use the report button to notify the moderators of the post. I've done this for you. That's quicker than posting to the thread and waiting for a staff member to see it.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I can open it, then tap the menu button and "share namecard via", and it gives me the option of sharing via bluetooth, SMS or e-mail. It makes sense.
Thank you.

And with my tin foil hat on if someone steals/finds your phone and sees the 'me' contact details they can then pop around to your house and break in whilst knowing you are out looking for your phone .... :-)

That's why you use a screen lock. ;) But I do put an email address (not the GMail I use with the phone) on the lockscreen in case someone honest find it.

(Actually my contact card doesn't have my home address anyway.)

In this day and age I'd say that you are a very optimistic person for sure, BUT I'll also say that if someone like me found your phone it would be returned as long as it wasn't an iPhone 6 Plus, then I'd have to think about it first, lol!!

That's why you use a screen lock. ;) But I do put an email address (not the GMail I use with the phone) on the lockscreen in case someone honest find it.

(Actually my contact card doesn't have my home address anyway.)

And with my tin foil hat on if someone steals/finds your phone and sees the 'me' contact details they can then pop around to your house and break in whilst knowing you are out looking for your phone ....

I don't see the exposure of having a physical address listed.

The one that still surprises me is an automatic response to an e-mail that says something like ... "I'll be out of town for the next two weeks on vacation". That one is inviting someone to "visit".

... Thom

Yeah, a couple of year back someone made a "please rob me" website to alert people to the fact that their social networking profiles would often give away who they were, whether they had things worth stealing and when they would be away for an extended period.

My ME entry has my name and telephone number only. (To possibly cut down on spam.)

Some apps use the ME entry to identify the owner.

... Thom

OK, so I've set up the ME contact, thinking it would be nice to be able to share my info quickly and easily when needed. But this morning, while driving to my office, I was using the integrated BT system in my car to browse through the contacts, and there I was, listed among them. :rolleyes:
I don't suppose there's any way of telling the phone to exclude this contact when synchronizing the address book via bluetooth, right? :)

Back
Top Bottom