• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Media App to Show Metadata

Hi all, I am trying develop an app to show currently playing media's metadata on a TextView. I will connect two Android devices via Bluetooth (my phone and a tablet). The tablet will run my app and the phone will play music. The app will show the song title and the artist information (independent from the media player app e.g. Spotify, YouTube Music etc.) on their respective "TextView"s. At this point, I am just trying to acquire and show the media metadata on my phone. I tried MediaSessionController and NotificationListener so far but I couldn't achieve my goal. How can I get the media metadata? Also, I plan to move on to the Bluetooth part after acquiring the song title. Is this approach logical? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones