• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Memory allocation

Ygarian

I guess this could be a general question, but given the particularly small amount of memory on the Mini Pro, I place it here.

My phone: U20i, CyanogenMod 6.01 (Froyo)

I have frequent problems with "low memory" messages, and being new to Android, wonder about the memory allocation process. I have Advanced Task Killer Pro installed, and it shows between 22 and 60MB free, while system tools show me 29.2M free in /system, 19.0M in /data (that's the amount also shown in "settings" as "available internal storage"), and 7.0M in /cache.

I'm not quite sure what of this is virtual memory, which is physical, how they overlap, and how to find out what is actually taking up that memory. My impression is that there is a portion used by apps installed, plus their data, but not identical with the memory used for running those apps, or the ones on SD.

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive description of how Android allocates physical and virtual memory, or even better, a tool that shows me what exactly takes up my phone's memory/memories?

Back
Top Bottom