• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Message thread so long (4000+) it creates lag

I propose for you people who are getting humungously long SMS threads a solution to never have this problem again.

Download: "SMS Backup"
Its free and will forward SMS messages to your gmail account. all the texts you recieve, put them in their own label and mark them read. Fantastic!

Delete texts after you read them or weekly or whenever and if you need to pull some info out of one back, look it up in your gmail.

Upvote 0
FINALLY, I have a solution! Woohoo! ^_^
There is an app called "Sms quick delete" that works! Granted, it took me 3 hours to delete the thread that is now 4500+, but at least it worked! I set it to never turn off, kept it plugged in, and just let it sit uninterrupted, checked on it 3 hours later, and it was fine :)

another thing that could have attributed to it actually working was that I deleted most of my smaller threads with other people too, I believe that could have sped up the process a bit as well. Anyway, give it a shot! Hope it works for you too!! I know how ANNOYING it was texting my girlfriend, whom I text the most, and having to wait 1-2 minutes every time I press "send" and the general lag when I am inputting text as well!

mitcho, ive been trying this since this morning and i have 3500+ texts with my boyfriend and ive tried twice to to this and each time its taken me to the main menu... im not sure whats going on or if it even worked but i tried it on my smaller threads and it worked perfectly... any idea why its taking me to the main screen? ugh i swear this is so annoying!!!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I know I had wanted to keep every text from my boyfriend (he's deployed and I like looking back through them) so I'm glad I found out about the large text thread problem before mine got too large. If wanting to save them is why you let it get so big, then I suggest SMS Backup from the Market which saves text threads to your Gmail account so you can delete them from the phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones