• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messages by Google Taking Large Space

S A Mamun

Lurker
So my phone running Android 9 was running out of space. I went to the settings and found out that default Messages by Google LLC had a heavy 1 GB+ cache.

I never get MMS messages, and regularly delete some SMS. I have around 50 threads right now and none of the threads expand to more than 60/65 previous messages.

So what might be the issue here?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190804-121437.png
    Screenshot_20190804-121437.png
    591.8 KB · Views: 120
No idea. I'd clear the cache and see whether it happens again, but I don't use that app personally.

The messages are not stored in the app itself (if they were then you could never change SMS app as the new app wouldn't have access to them), though I can imagine it keeps a cache of them itself, possibly including stuff even after you have deleted them. But unless you've been receiving videos by MMS the size is incredible: I've about 10k messages and the backup file is less than 12MB.

all of that used space is under cache, which is where the app stores temp files in. all that can just be cleared. too much cache and its files can 1)take up a lot of room and 2)have a higher chance of getting corrupted and make your phone either run slow or glitchy.

Back
Top Bottom