• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] (HARD BRICK) Metro PCS Samsung GS3 (HARD BRICK)

michel5891

Jan 23, 2011
A couple nights ago, I wanted to flash my phone from Stock Touchwiz 4.12 to CM10.1 which I had on my ext sd card. I entered TWRP and proceeded to do a complete wipe of the system and internal storage, cache etc. Then I navigated thru TWRP ui to select CM10.1, however I mistakenly selected Weizenheimer .zip, (which isn't actually a rom) and flashed it to my phone. I left the phone plugged into the charger while it flashed.

A few minutes after flashing, it asked to reboot, which I did. The phone never turned on nor responded after the reboot attempt. I tried to pull the battery and replace, try a different battery with the charger plugged in, but nothing still. I did connect it to the computer which detected it but I received an error. I did a lot of research to find out that it is HardBricked and needs to be RIFF JTag repaired, of which I learnt about mobiletechvideo.com etc. They are in Texas and it would take 10 - 15 days for my phone to be repaired and returned to me.

However I found a guy in Flushing, NY -- 20 minutes from where I am, off of Main Street, who is a Level III Cellular Phone Service Repair Technician that says he can repair it, but he has to go thru Samsung for the Software. http://www.nobletecinc.com/index.php He says he has to email them info about the phone because it's CDMA and resurrecting a Samsung GS3 CDMA Bricked phone is quite rare, using the Samsung UnBrick procedure. And they; Samsung, have to compile a recovery rom email it back to him in order to bring the phone back to life.

He says that many people have posted on YouTube, about the procedure using the RIFF Jtag method, which he will be using JTag method as well, but not a RIFF device, because he abides within the Samsung procedures and methods. I have to wait 3 - 4 days as of today to know what's going on with my phone. Oh, he's charging me $65 as opposed to $60 from mobiletech. If he can't get it to work then I'll be sending my phone to Texas. 10 - 15 days. Sigh:(

What do you guys think about all this? Any advice and input?
Anyone in the NY Metro Area that knows of any person/s that can do RIFF JTag repair etc?

o resurrect Samsung R530:
Solder JTAG cable to Samsung R530 JTAG pads;
Connect USB cable to phone and PC;
Insert battery;
Make sure Samsung R530 is selected in the list of models;
Click Resurrect button;
Wait till software signals a successful operation completion;
Disconnect USB cable, de-solder JTAG wires;
Now phone is in bootable condition, that is, even if it does not start up normally, you can flash it using original Samsung downloader software to restore it to the working state.
To enter download mode:
Disconnect PC cable;
Insert battery;
Hold ‘Volume Down’ key and press Power-On.

Found here: http://www.jtagbox.com/

Have you tried manually booting into recovery or download mode? I can't imagine the wiz zip would brick your device since it only contains an apn and build. Prop file. It writes nothing to your partition.

Edit: I remember another thread where somebody booted without a rom installed and brick. He had insurance tho. Maybe you can call samsung and act dumb, get a warranty replacement.

Upvote 0
Yes I tried rebooting into both recovery and Download mode. The phone does not even vibrate; as with SoftBrick. It's just dead. However when I take the battery out and connect it to the PC via USB, the red power light is lit up and the Device Manager begins detecting.

I have insurance on the phone, but that'll cost me $130 to replace via MetroPCS/Asurion. Tell me about getting it replaced via Samsung and the Warranty etc. (Playing Dumb)

Upvote 0
Yes I tried rebooting into both recovery and Download mode. The phone does not even vibrate; as with SoftBrick. It's just dead. However when I take the battery out and connect it to the PC via USB, the red power light is lit up and the Device Manager begins detecting.

I have insurance on the phone, but that'll cost me $130 to replace via MetroPCS/Asurion. Tell me about getting it replaced via Samsung and the Warranty etc. (Playing Dumb)

Call samsung and tell them you were always happy with ics so you've been declining the jb ota popup. You decided to go for it one day, it did it's thing, rebooted and was dead. That's all you know.

Upvote 0

Kies Emergency Restore?

Upvote 0
The computer won't even recognize the phone.

This MAY not help... but, I'd try it personally before giving up -

Try plugging the phone to the PC via USB - with the phone turned off.
After a min or so, hold down Menu, Volume up, and Power - all at the same time, until something happens either on the phone screen, or the PC.

Then try Odin?

(just a stab in the dark here... I didn't know one could hard-brick a Galaxy device so easily)
:thinking::thinking:

Edit~ I meant to say "Volume DOWN".

Man, I hope you find an alternative fix for this...

Upvote 0
This MAY not help... but, I'd try it personally before giving up -

Try plugging the phone to the PC via USB - with the phone turned off.
After a min or so, hold down Menu, Volume up, and Power - all at the same time, until something happens either on the phone screen, or the PC.

Then try Odin?

(just a stab in the dark here... I didn't know one could hard-brick a Galaxy device so easily)
:thinking::thinking:

Edit~ I meant to say "Volume DOWN".

Man, I hope you find an alternative fix for this...
Tried all of that. No go. I'm gonna see what happens by Monday. In the mean time. I'm gonna suspend my metro account until then. No one in the NY Metro Area?

Upvote 0
mobiletechvideo.com is a standup guy, plenty of people on xda use his service and if you are to go the jtag route i would personally pay the money to have it done by a guy who does it all the time rather than, " well maybe i can fix it, maybe not..."

costs money up front and time but are you willing to let your 500 dollar device sit there because of this? :/

Upvote 0
mobiletechvideo.com is a standup guy, plenty of people on xda use his service and if you are to go the jtag route i would personally pay the money to have it done by a guy who does it all the time rather than, " well maybe i can fix it, maybe not..."

costs money up front and time but are you willing to let your 500 dollar device sit there because of this? :/
I do agree. I'm going to send it out to him on Monday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones