• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] HELP: USB & Wifi Tips & Tricks

Mattswad

so I hear a lot of people mentioning they use foxfi as a source of USB tethering and as far as I know is the only source that works for tethering. However when I use it I get dreadfully slow speeds not even comparable to the speeds I achieve with only the phone itself.I am using hide tethering level 1 and have tried using the Google DNS and without it.I am not sure of the exact build installed on my cpu as Im away from it now but my Phone has Foxfi v 2.15.2 with full version unlocked. but I have tried them all.

am I doing something wrong or am I missing something obvious or am I just stuck with dreadfully slow internet speeds and the ability to log on 2 only certain sites?

or is there a build prop tweak or some type of setting that I can manipulate to get full speed internet through USB tethering? Also is there another way to get wifi tethering other than what was mentioned in the posts here earlier? As I success with that method works but somehow I have never been able to obtain it again despite a factory reset and data wipe. Forgive me if I am asking questions that are against forum guidelinesI hope that I am NOT causing problems with this post.but if the nature of your response is questionable please feel free to email me at mattswad@gmail.com

Thank you in advance!
Op sys: Win 7

DNS is only used for a second to get the numerical address of the canonical (human-readable) address you put in. If you (or an app) goes to a numerical address it's not used at all. Unless you're using a VERY slow DNS server (which would be something private, like an internal company server), or there's a problem with the path to the server or with the server itself, which DNS server you're using will have no effect on the speed of the connection. It certainly won't change the speed of something like Speedtest, since it doesn't measure the speed of the DNS request and response.

Using a "hiding" scheme is probably what's causing the speed loss. (And it doesn't really hide anything. It's an old trick that the carriers got around almost a decade ago. No matter how you're hiding, if your phone is listed as an Android phone, and you're downloading from a Windows file site, they know you're most likely tethering a Windows computer to your phone. Computers are fast enough these days to keep checks on all the signals going through an office at once, and flag the suspicious ones.)

am I doing something wrong or am I missing something obvious or am I just stuck with dreadfully slow internet speeds and the ability to log on 2 only certain sites?

To access every site I use IE most of the time (without changing user agent) but when I get the Metro Screen of death I switch to Chrome. For me it is the easiest way to change my user agent. Just click on the drop down and pick which one you want.

Back
Top Bottom