• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS PSA: CDMA Network Shutdown Info

Any other CDMA BYOD carriers?

I've had my LG Motion for about 14 months and Metro says my area will be supported thru the end of 2015.

From what I've seen on trade ins, I'm not very excited about the offerings.

Maybe I'll buy a refurbed Sammy S-4 when my area is no longer supported.
not in the us but you could flash to boost or virgin if you know a guy who knows a guy.. that knows how to do it right

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with metro, i didnt even know they were getting rid of CDMA phones until i called. Im in NY so im sure We will be the last to get phased out. What im a little dissappointed about is I tried so hard to keep my $55 plan( yes its only $5, im a cheapo:D) and when i spoke with the representative she said that no matter what i would have to get rid of my 55 plan and get the 50 or 60 plan when time rolls around. I see they have the trade in deals, do you guys think they will have better deals when it comes closer to full merger?

Im thinking about getting s4/s5 and moving to the 60 plan

Upvote 0
I wouldn't believe what the reps who read from a script tell you. I think there might be a law that says that phone companies have to keep the plan until the last user willfully deactivates their phone, even with prepaid. I had an alltel u prepaid phone for 25$/more (I got unlimited calls by using my Google voice as my favorite number), no data, activated an Alltel BlackBerry onto it and data eventually started working! (after verizontal bought them) and it worked for three years. I only lost it after the phone broke. Then again, this was all the same technology (CDMA to CDMA, not CDMA to gsm in the case of metro to tmobile).

Upvote 0
I have a LG Motion phone Model LG-MS770. My service is through Metro PCS. Over the past week I am been receiving text alerts and voice messages from Metro PCS stating I must upgrade my phone or lose service. Can anybody shed any light on this issue? If true, how long until my service cuts off. Thanks!

The text should contain a link that takes you to a page with all the info. My guess would be that you have until September 30th

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones