• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SD wont let me delete files, S5 Neo

C

Cara84

Everytime I delete something from my micro SD card on my phone (S5 Neo), it reappears. I have reformatted the card on my phone AND on my macbook pro. The files always return.

I cannot move any files (photos) onto the SD card either.

I feel like my phone is posessed! I have also tried using a brand new micro SD card, but my computer won't allow me to move anything onto the card either. It's like as soon as I put the card in the phone, the card permanently locked. Both are 32 gb cards and I've been using one of the cards for a couple years now.

HELP. This is driving me insane!

What OS version and what app are you trying to use to do this?

Android 4.4 introduced restrictions on third party apps' ability to write to SD. If you are running 4.4 then only built-in apps will be able to write to the card. With 5.0 they added a system that lets you give an app permission to write to the whole card, but the app has to request it, so if the developer never updated to request this then it still won't work.

Reformatting is different: if the files are there after reformatting then the formatting has failed or you are looking in the wrong place and the files aren't actually on the card (/sdcard is not the sd card, it's part of the internal storage pretending to be a sd card).

Upvote 0
I have 6.0.1

I know how to tell if the photos are on the device or SD card (it shows a small image of an SD card if it's saved on there). I've even tried creating a new folder (saved to the device) and moving (not copying) the photos from the SD card to the device. The SD folder will disappear for a few minutes and then reappear. It's crazy.

What OS version and what app are you trying to use to do this?

Android 4.4 introduced restrictions on third party apps' ability to write to SD. If you are running 4.4 then only built-in apps will be able to write to the card. With 5.0 they added a system that lets you give an app permission to write to the whole card, but the app has to request it, so if the developer never updated to request this then it still won't work.

Reformatting is different: if the files are there after reformatting then the formatting has failed or you are looking in the wrong place and the files aren't actually on the card (/sdcard is not the sd card, it's part of the internal storage pretending to be a sd card).

Upvote 0
Nope. It's like the micro SD card is locked (see attached screenshot).

I am at a loss here. This is so annoying that I can't use my phone properly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170129-160852.png
    Screenshot_20170129-160852.png
    102 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones