• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Micro USB cables

Izwoz

Lurker
Over the last 2 years i have had too many stop working with my dhd.

I have recently been using a blackberry charger with the micro usb cable to charge but now that needs have to have pressure on one side to work (like many cables before it).
The data cable (usb-micro usb) I have which is an exact replacement of the original htc one (that stopped working) will charge from pc but won't allow me to mount as drive.

If there is a good quality cable in existence i would like to know about it. Idk why their life is so short or maybe my phones socket could be dodgy.

Thanks ;)

Hello and welcome, Izwoz, thanks for joining Android Forums! :)

I too have had my DHD eat a couple of usb cables... most recently the one that came with the phone. I am not sure exactly what happens, as sometimes it will register as charging and other times it won't but, even when it is not charging, it can still connect to the computer via the cable... strange!!

I can't really offer you an answer, other than just get another cable, but wanted you to know that you are not the only person this is happening to!! :)

It might sound odd to recommend an eBay cable when the one I received was faulty, but here goes...

I chose this cable because the listing gave extra technical detail about wire gauges, which led me to believe that it was going to be a substantial, well-engineered product. It also helped that it was very inexpensive!

When the cable arrived it looked the business - very solid, clearly well-made, a useful length, a micro USB plug whose orientation could be determined by touch. But it wouldn't plug into my phone!!! I emailed the seller who responded immediately, even though it was during a weekend. We exchanged a couple of emails (I'm an electronics design engineer who has specified many cables) and the seller then got the manufacturer involved too. It turned out that one of the tiny springy metal lugs on my cable was stuck, and couldn't retract far enough for the plug to fit the socket. My cable was immediately replaced free of charge, and the manufacturer and the seller checked their stock to make sure it wasn't a batch fault - which it wasn't. I think anyone can be satisfied with a purchase when all goes well, but the measure of a good seller is how they respond when things don't go as expected. On that basis, I now have this seller marked as my preferred merchant for cables on eBay.

Here are the details:

USB 2.0 A MALE - B MICRO USB DATA CHARGER LEAD CABLE 2M | eBay

Back
Top Bottom