• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro USB not standard?

kenn

Android Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2010
What's the deal with the micro usb cable? I have several micro USB cords from HTC phones, Motorola phones, and LG phones. NONE of them will "pop up" the "connect phone via USB" notification message. I have to use the cable that came with it.

I didn't think it was proprietary but I don't know how to figure this one out. The other cables charge it fine, but my PC doesn't see the phone and the phone doesn't recognize the PC unless I use the cable that came with it. Weird.

What's the deal with the micro usb cable? I have several micro USB cords from HTC phones, Motorola phones, and LG phones. NONE of them will "pop up" the "connect phone via USB" notification message. I have to use the cable that came with it.

I didn't think it was proprietary but I don't know how to figure this one out. The other cables charge it fine, but my PC doesn't see the phone and the phone doesn't recognize the PC unless I use the cable that came with it. Weird.

I had that issue with my old Hero. Other USB cables would charge but wouldn't connect for transferring data. I haven't tried any other ones with the Nexus yet.

Upvote 0

All o the phones that you listed, I'm assuming, were made before 2011 and the new MHL standard.

The Micro-USB port on your Nexus S 4G is also an HDMI port. The adapters will be regularly available in about a month, and a few phones (Galaxy S II & Infuse) already come packaged with them.

The port on the NS4G is the same form-factor as your other phones, but the pin configuration is different to allow for the MHL adapter to be powered while also connected to HDMI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones