• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Microsd card setup?

Chances are your card will just mount up automatically and be usable as is, but considering it's the first time to be used it won't hurt to just format it with your G6 itself. That way you'll know it's fully compatible with your phone.
Although if you're going to use that card as adoptable, it's going to get reformatted anyway during the adoptable set up process. (Adoptable microSD cards get formatted to the ext4 file system so they're in parity with the file system your phone's internal storage uses, and they get encrypted so it's basically tied specifically to your phone.)

Upvote 0
Internal storage, a.k.a. adoptable, essentially forces you to always leave the microSD card in your phone. It becomes integrated into your phone's internal storage memory, that's why it will be reformatted to the proper file format and because it's also encrypted with the encryption key tied solely to your phone the card is unreadable if you should remove it. (Note you can always re-use the card by just re-formatting it, returning it back to its original state. But you do need to go through the proper procedure to change an adoptable card back to a removable one as your phone and the operating system were working with what was once that additional memory storage space.)
As for 'portable', by default a microSD card will be formatted using a variant of the FAT file system (Microsoft's File Allocation Table), maybe FAT32 probably exFAT. Note that FAT is dated, no longer actively supported, and proprietary, with history of being unstable to begin with, so cards are often easily corruptible. The plus being the FAT file systems are supported by Linux, Macs, and of course Windows so portable cards can be used to physically transfer media between phones and computers, with the caveat that FAT isn't capable of handling the same file and folder file permissions or file metadata that Android relies upon very well so while files themselves are easily transferable, it's not always seamless.

Upvote 0
This article is more concise and will probably be more palatable than my babble:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsd-card-android-guide/
What it all boils down to is pick one or the other, and stick with it as there isn't any compatibility between the two. (... and of course if later you change your mind you can always reformat the card as a do-over)

Reactions: jumpinjackflash
Upvote 0
I tried "adoptable" storage with my HTC 10, it was "Meh". Now that I'm using a G6 I use it as portable storage. Sometimes I want to pull out my card to add new music albums to it with my PC. It just seems to transfer faster that way instead of using the phone connected to the PC. I doesn't hurt that I have a dedicated card reader for just that function.

To get back to your original question it worked right out of the package. I'm using a Samsung 64 GB micro SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones