• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Milestone 2.2 Update Issues...

Hi Guys,

I am having a milestone for over an year now. It was having android 2.1 when I purchased it. Things were pretty smooth while it operated on 2.1.

Then just last week I did a manual update to android 2.2 and now several issues are getting reproduced...

1. Battery life is low. It discharges in a single day.
2. Battery heats up. Back side of the phone is always warm.
3. Crashes intermittently.

I feel that Milestone update for 2.2. has been the worst in the android world. I have seen several other phones with 2.2 and 2.3 with better support for battery, apps and wifi add ons such as portable hotspots (even for EDGE) which Milestone Android lacks.

Motorola made us wait for so long for their 2.2 update and the result is a 3rd rate android release.

I luved my milestone with 2.1 and know that these issues with 2.2 must also have some fixes. Sadly in India (Mumbai) Motorola has no dedicated customer care. They have some affliated customer care centers which are full of dumb people who do not know anything about Android.:mad:

Please help me guys.

A Frustrated Milestone Android User.
:(

Update to CM7 (which is gingerbread, 2.3). Phone is much snappier and battery much better than stock ROM from Motorola. You won't be dissapointed.

You can find all the links to the files and upgrade guides in some recent posts in here.

I've been incredibly disappointed with the 2.2 update as well. Some of the new text messaging features are cool (though some are fixes from 2.1, for example not recognizing words with an apostrophe in them), but the cost has been multiple issues:

1. The phone freezing up for several seconds randomly while entering a web address or trying to launch various apps.

2. Apps launching other apps (standard Gmail app will sometimes launch the standard Browser app and continue to do so until the phone is turned off and on again)

3. Text messages crossing paths, for example, I'll touch the last contact I was texting, and sometimes the phone will take me to a different contact's text message that is so old it's not even on the screen.

4. Battery issues - charging time feels a lot longer, and phone will no longer charge with USB when under 5% unless plugged into a wall adapter.

5. Sometimes apps will report there is no internet connection even when there clearly is an internet connection that other apps are connected to.

6. Home screen often doesn't load at all when returning to it from Browser, until I press the up arrow on the bottom.

7. Wifi connections seem more stable than 2.1, but still have issues sometimes where the Wifi is connected perfectly but the internet going through the wifi doesn't work on the phone (while still working fine on computers and PS3).

I don't want to root/hack the phone and risk bricking it or voiding my warranty... sorry for the long rant but I think it's time to call Telus with a list of WTF.

There is 99.999999% no risk in rooting and custom romming this phone. Just follow the steps and advice provided on this forum and you should have no issues whatsoever. And if you do then just ask and we will guide you through it. I had the same worries as you and the people in this forum were fantastic with the help they gave me, especially Alta1r.

Back