• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto-G wifi(and maybe BT) stopped working (Cricket)

thenomad

This started to happen yesterday. Up until yesterday, I was able to connect to my home wifi router when I came home and there was no problem.

The only thing different I did was to reinstall Waze the umpteenth time. And on my way home, there are too many hotspots that I connected once or twice before, so I turned my wifi off to get continuous google maps/traffic data.

When I left my car, while on the driveway, it usually connects to my home network. It didn't do. Reboot didn't help (long press on power button) Turned it off, then turned it back on. It connected but after about 15 or so seconds it lost connectivity. I did this kabuki dance about 5 times before reading about the booting to recovery menu and clearing the cache partition. Someone in some android forum suggested this helped clear his wifi connectivity problems. I did that one too but nothing has changed. As soon as it boots, it connects and then drops the wifi connection after few seconds.

Very annoying. Every other device at home are happily chugging along. So, it is not the router, although I reboot it few times as well, to no help.

This morning, after forgetting it on the charger for the past 2 days, I picked up my BT headset. It immediately connected to the phone. As soon as it got connected, my wifi connection got established, alas for 15-to-30 seconds. I listened to my podcasts while I was on my 1+ hour commute with my BT headset. No problems on that end but still no wifi.

I arrived at the office, and looked at the wifi networks. There is a guest network that BYOD class of apparatus can use, while in the office building. My phone used to connect to it automatically. Not today. It is a open WiFi spot but when I click it on the signals menu, it is asking me it's WPA passcode.

Now turning it off and on doesn't do anything any more. When I turn off my BT headset and turn it back on, it is saying headset connected but the indicator on my phone is not lighting up and when I play something, the sound goes to external speaker, not to BT headset.

At this point, I am not sure what can be done. Seriously thinking of chucking it and getting a new phone.

What I would try ...
1. Power off/power on.
2. Still problem ... wipe cache partition (deleting temporary data).
3. Still problem ... boot into Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them) - if problem stops it is caused by an app that you added
4. Still problem ... the last thing you would do before giving up this phone to someone else is a Factory Data Reset. When you get to that point it MIGHT correct the problem.

... Thom

What I would try ...
1. Power off/power on.
2. Still problem ... wipe cache partition (deleting temporary data).
3. Still problem ... boot into Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them) - if problem stops it is caused by an app that you added
4. Still problem ... the last thing you would do before giving up this phone to someone else is a Factory Data Reset. When you get to that point it MIGHT correct the problem.

... Thom

I performed a factory data reset. Now I can connect to my guest wifi at work but this time I lost my BTconnectivity, pretty much the same way I did my wifi last night. I can pair it with the phone but after a while it is idle, my phone loses connection. Powering down the BT headfset and powering it back up, the voice prompt says "headset is connected" but the phone doesn't register this event and keeps using the speaker for further sound output. Unpairing and pairing back, restores the operation, but only till it dies again. There is something really fishy going on here.

in about 1-2 minutes after paired, if unused, I hear the prompt voice sayin "connection switched" and few seconds later "not connected" Is there a way to fix this ?

I'm not a blue tooth person.

I have been assuming you are not root-ed. If that is the case, a Factory Data Reset is about as aggressive as you can get in problem determination/correction.

I suggest you talk to the dealer about a possible hardware failure.

... Thom

No not rooted but seriously considering it. I am already out of warranty period, as I purchased this P-O-S last year in early summer time.

Back
Top Bottom