• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto G4 Play, no longer has calls after carrier switch

Ess1812

Lurker
Nov 10, 2020
I switched from pre-paid US Cellular to Mint, hoping to save some $ and 'cuz the coverage was spotty (I'm not in USC's area anymore). Put a new SIM card in, activated account and moved phone number over. A few days later I tried calling out, it would ring their phone but then dead air then hung up. Same with incoming calls and voicemail. No problem with text/data. Both WIFI and network notifications are at 100%.

I called Mint three times over the next three days and spent at least 3 hours each time attempting to fix it. I canceled Mint on day 7 for a refund. I'm not sure what to try next. I had a friend of a friend who said maybe I'm blacklisted by US Cellular? I did pop in a trial (#3) Mint Card to keep working on the issue (not activated yet)
Another friend has walked me through to the point of "unlocking bootloader", but I'm kind of freaking out. I can follow the step by steps - but where is this going to? I thought factory reset would scrub any software issue. This is a whole new level - and what is a developer phone? I'm pretty sure that not my model. Any thoughts? Or should I bite the bullet and attempt to "Flash my phone" or give it up and buy a new one (probably Moto G4 Play as I just got a new set of screen savers and covers - so far this one has lasted nearly 3 years.)

Reactions: Dannydet
I switched from pre-paid US Cellular to Mint, hoping to save some $ and 'cuz the coverage was spotty (I'm not in USC's area anymore). Put a new SIM card in, activated account and moved phone number over. A few days later I tried calling out, it would ring their phone but then dead air then hung up. Same with incoming calls and voicemail. No problem with text/data. Both WIFI and network notifications are at 100%.

I called Mint three times over the next three days and spent at least 3 hours each time attempting to fix it. I canceled Mint on day 7 for a refund. I'm not sure what to try next. I had a friend of a friend who said maybe I'm blacklisted by US Cellular? I did pop in a trial (#3) Mint Card to keep working on the issue (not activated yet)
Another friend has walked me through to the point of "unlocking bootloader", but I'm kind of freaking out. I can follow the step by steps - but where is this going to? I thought factory reset would scrub any software issue. This is a whole new level - and what is a developer phone? I'm pretty sure that not my model. Any thoughts? Or should I bite the bullet and attempt to "Flash my phone" or give it up and buy a new one (probably Moto G4 Play as I just got a new set of screen savers and covers - so far this one has lasted nearly 3 years.)
Moto G5 Play.. isn't that "harpia" ..?? There's a lot of custom recoveries and ROMs (Operating Systems) for that one, many options to choose from. So my advice for this one is to try a factory reset and see if anything improves. But TBH, Mint is SOOO new, they may not have their network fully together properly yet as far as APN's (access point names, the channels that the phones works to connect to the networks) and related stuff goes. Now since Mint is also so new, I think that using a custom ROM may have less positive results until Developers add Mint to apn.xml but is certainly worth try if a factory reset doesn't help..

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I've done the reset through "back and reset" and through the recovery mode. Since I've done the recovery 6-7 times I feel a bit of fatique so have only put google login and MinMobile back on the phone. I get email notifications but looks like I no longer get text.

Now I'm just wondering how I can move forward. I'm hoping to recover my phone number to maybe a flip phone? Without my phone I'm being locked out of Microsoft. Will this nightmare stop.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones