• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto G5 Plus - How do you move apps to SD?

I believe you first have to format the SD card as adaptable storage, then you can go into Settings -> Apps and choose to move apps that support being moved (not all do).

The SD card is encrypted when used as adaptable storage, backup important data on it first.

I think I should have clarified. On previous versions of Android, it was possible to use the SD card as portable storage (removing it whenever you like), and still move some apps to SD (those that supported this feature).

It looks like on the Moto G5 Plus the only option for moving apps to SD is by using the SD card as internal storage (adoptable storage), after which the phone encrypts it and uses it for everything.

Just wondering what happened to the old way of doing it (manually adding apps 1-by-1) and still being able to use the SD card as regular portable storage? Is this new to Nougat, or is this just disabled on the Moto G5 Plus?

Reactions: johncarter1776
Upvote 0
I think I should have clarified. On previous versions of Android, it was possible to use the SD card as portable storage (removing it whenever you like), and still move some apps to SD (those that supported this feature).

It looks like on the Moto G5 Plus the only option for moving apps to SD is by using the SD card as internal storage (adoptable storage), after which the phone encrypts it and uses it for everything.

Just wondering what happened to the old way of doing it (manually adding apps 1-by-1) and still being able to use the SD card as regular portable storage?
Is this new to Nougat, or is this just disabled on the Moto G5 Plus?

I believe it's been deprecated for a long time, since Android 4.x something. 7.x Nougat added the ability to format the SD as adoptive storage, but not all manufacturers implement it, e.g. Samsung. Moving apps to the SD "the old way", was never completely supported by all apps, some things didn't work, and widget apps wouldn't work at all if moved to SD.

Be aware, if you do format the SD as adoptive internal storage, it's completely encrypted and nothing else can read it. So if the phone takes a dump, or is even factory reset, anything that was on the SD will become unreadable and inaccessible, like photos, videos, music, etc. So backups are very important.

Reactions: GamerCore and kate
Upvote 0

Just wondering what happened to the old way of doing it (manually adding apps 1-by-1) and still being able to use the SD card as regular portable storage? Is this new to Nougat, or is this just disabled on the Moto G5 Plus?
The option to select on 1 by 1 app is still available on my wife's Samsung Galaxy 8+ and was available on my Moto G5+ about a week ago. I bought a new 128 GB SD card, put it in, formatted it and it works perfectly EXCEPT no option in any apps to move app or data there. I do however have option to format as internal. Like you, I would like to get option back to move app data for select apps. both phones new 1st of June and both running Android 7(Nougat).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones