• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moto X Play stuck in fastboot after trying to root

So I was trying to root my Moto X Play using SuperSU, after I put the zip file onto my phone, went into the fastboot and selected recovery mode, but then it said the ramdumb has failed... But now the phone only shows a black screen when I try to boot it up or go into recovery mode, so now it can only boot into the fastboot. Also it's only showing up on my computer as an unspecified device so I can't access the phone files to remove the SuperSU file. Really need help here!!!!

Upvote 0
Unlocking the bootloader is the first step with Motorola devices. Have a look here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x-style/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3200808
Are you familiar with using fastboot?
If you can,
fastboot getvar all

Will give you all the information about your phone including bootloader status. Look at post #2, shows how to use the getvar all to determine your stock firmware
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f783/how-download-motorola-correct-fimware-2028182/
Awesome thanks!! Had the wrong firmware.

Ok so can I flash the firmware without unlocking the bootloader? I can't unlock the bootloader atm cause I can't access my phone to undo the OEM locking in developer settings

Upvote 0
I have the XPE and just checked the bootloader screen. I had forgot but it will show if the bootloader is unlocked there also. Should be third line from the bottom.

I'm by no means a Motorola expert, Buti don't think you can flash anything in fastboot without unlocking the bootloader first. I'll have to do some research and get back to you.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I have the XPE and just checked the bootloader screen. I had forgot but it will show if the bootloader is unlocked there also. Should be third line from the bottom.

I'm by no means a Motorola expert, Buti don't think you can flash anything in fastboot without unlocking the bootloader first. I'll have to do some research and get back to you.
Yea it says the bootloader is still locked...

Alright thanks!! Really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Yea it says the bootloader is still locked...

Alright thanks!! Really appreciate it!
A unlocked bootloader is only needed to flash unsigned image files. Since you're trying to go back to stock their should be no issues flashing OEM "Motorola" firmware.

Once you're done check mark OEM unlocking and you can proceed with rooting the device. You cannot use regular fast boot for the system img or any large files. You will have to use mfastboot.

You should be able to use rsd lite but you could do it faster with mfastboot.

Upvote 0
A unlocked bootloader is only needed to flash unsigned image files. Since you're trying to go back to stock their should be no issues flashing OEM "Motorola" firmware.

Once you're done check mark OEM unlocking and you can proceed with rooting the device. You cannot use regular fast boot for the system img or any large files. You will have to use mfastboot.

You should be able to use rsd lite but you could do it faster with mfastboot.
THANK GOD!! It worked using the correct firmware! But now it shows the boot logo but then goes back to the fastboot saying "failed to pass validation, backup to fastboot"

Upvote 0
THANK GOD!! It worked using the correct firmware! But now it shows the boot logo but then goes back to the fastboot saying "failed to pass validation, backup to fastboot"
Since i jumped in on this thread late, more information is needed. What Android OS version did it run prior to this? What firmware did you flash, was it newer or the same version?

When you flashed the firmware which method did you use?

Manually flashed or via rsd lite. If you flashed it manually did you make sure that when you flashed the sparse chunk files you matched it to the file numbers in your firmware? The default steps may or may not match the files you have.

Upvote 0
Almost positive this error is from the sparse chunks. I have to call it a night in about 30 minutes though. I will check back in the morning. Post the commands you used and if possible post a link to the firmware you used.
You were totally right, I just used the default commands but there were 2 sparse chucks missing. Flashed the factory image again and it worked perfect!! Everything is working beautifully now, thanks a ton you guys!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones