• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moving files from Download folder

melius777

Lurker
On a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 (Android 4.3.3) how do I get any file now in the Download folder, onto a home screen? NOT a shortcut, but the actual file icon. Thanks :o

You don't get files on the homescreen, you get icons on the homescreen. They point to files. The files can be anywhere, including your download folder. But you can't move the files themselves to the screen. The screen isn't a folder, it's a drawing of icons (and other things, like the notification bar). It would be like moving apples to a picture of a bowl.

If the idea is to get files out of the d/l folder and make them accessible on the home screen, I'd create a new folder in your user storage space (maybe called "Home Docs"?) and then put a shortcut to it on your home screen. Whne you download a file, you can move it to Home Docs and any file in that folder will be easily accessible from your home screen. As Rukbat explained, you can't put actual files on a home screen.

Thanks rubkat and lunatic59, you are helping me on my way to a solution. I now see that all icons on my homescreen are shortcuts anyway. Let me rephrase my problem: when Im sitting on a plane (i.e. no Internet access), I want to work on a certain group of files file from my home screen. I cannot get it from the cloud or email-I want to access it from one of my homescreens, not go look for them in my d/l folder or elsewhere on the device.

I tried to create a folder in my user storage space, but then cannot copy the files into it. I am using File Commander. Sorry for bugging you - I really do appreciate your time! :) Exact for-a-dummy instructions would be appreciated. I grew up on DOS and Win95, not used to touch screens and tablets... MW

Back
Top Bottom