• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multiple user accounts on tablets for ver 4.2>>

mystvearn

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
MY
I have the original Nexus 7 and notice that I can make user accounts. I have some questions about the android's version of multiple user accounts.

1. Is there a difference between owner and user in the account settings? Provided that the users have full control of the tablet? Why is there an owner designated there in the first place?

2. Is the Android file system similar to windows for shared software? In windows, all programs gets installed in the Program files, so different users share the same program. I noticed that in android, I need to download an app for a new account, even though it is present in the owner's account. So, is there a redundancy going on in the background?

3. Is it possible for other users to share the same files, if it is stored in the non-user specific folder? In windows Pc for example, if I put everything in C:, everyone can access it. However, if I put something under the users account, it is only accessible to the user.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones