• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music Player acting weird after Froyo

jackie_jagger

Jul 15, 2010
Hey just got the Froyo update,

The media player fails to recognize the ID3 tags and says as Unknown title unknown songs, also the whole music collection have the same album art.

I ran all my songs through mp3tag on the pc, and all the ID3 tags and album arts are embedded and are correct.

I even tried to remove and put the songs back in...also cleared media storage numerous number of times, restarts also haven't helped.

what can I do?

any help will be appreciated...

Cheers
Jackie

Have the same problem but album names are showing up fine, the songs still play just the artists names are now only recognised as "unknown artists" which is a shame as it's my only gripe on what is otherwise an excellent upgrade to FroYo with a few cool surprises thrown in.

I'm just going to have to convert all my WMA. files to MP3 format now unless someone has a brainwave or an update quickly swings our way, have just tested it out on a couple of songs and the artists names show up fine.

I found an audio convertor online from here if anyone needs one: Audio Sound File Converter Software. Convert wav, mp3, dvd, midi, dvf etc.

Upvote 0
Ouch. Since downloading Froyo, like several others my music collection is jumbled and not recognised. I have tried clearing it and downloading anew, trying MP3 and WMA formats, to no avail. The music player can no longdr play my trcks. Not good. Hope HTC get this sorted!
cheers
Marsh

Upvote 0
use mixzing here and after upgrade lots of my artists are unknown too when they were there before and yes they are wma files.cant be arsed to convert em all though so hope there will be an update to mixzing later

I dont think the problem lies with mixzing - mixzing reads the default library, the same one that the default player uses. Its a problem with the phone firmware.

Upvote 0
I was browsing my files with a file manager and noticed several desktop.ini files. It appears these came over from my Windows PC when I originally copied my files over to the SD card. Using the file manager, I deleted one of the desktop.ini files from the album art that was currently being displayed. That seems to have helped. Most (if not all) of my album art/artist information is being displayed properly now. Weird.

Upvote 0
Right after Verizon updated my Moto Droid with Android 2.2, my music player had all songs listed with unknown artist - all album and artist info was missing. (Same problem as the original post on this thread)

I rebooted the phone and everything came back to normal. I suspect that the media-related background services (like Media Container Service) got confused during the 2.2 upgrade.

Upvote 0
I'm having some serious music player issues as well - I upgraded to Froyo on my Moto Droid and now most of my music collection isn't recognized. It's especially strange because it's not just m4a files, but a lot of mp3 files aren't recognized either. In fact, with one album, it recognizes disc 2 but not disc 1. WTF?

I've tried everything from clearing data to moving the files into a specific music folder. I've even tried pulling them out and having iTunes convert everything to mp3 (or "reconvert" if they already were mp3s) all with no luck. I'm stumped and pretty irritated.

Anyone else have some ideas? I've been searching forums and trying things for at least a week.

Upvote 0
Same issue here on HTC Desire after 2.2 upgrade. Most album art missing and all music listed as "unknown artist". Deleted everything and copied a few albums across but still the same thing. Album Art Grabber managed to get the album art again but the even though the albums were listed as unknown artist in that too. All files are WMA.

To be honest I think it's unacceptable. It's broken a main feature of the phone and I'm not sure how the average user is supposed to put up with it compared to an iphone when you have to jump through hoops just to get your music displayed properly. It's a big minus point for Android in my opinion and I'd rather they concentrated on getting these core feature working properly than releasing stuff like chrome to phone and gestures.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones