• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music player apps not reading SD card

Hi, I have a Nokia 3.1 running Android 9. I have a problem which seemed to start after a recent update...
I have a 128gb SD card with about 45gb of music on it.
Most music player apps don't seem able to read the card properly (the only ones that can read it have really bad user interfaces and limited functions)
Some music player apps can read a few tracks (91 seems to be a common number, I don't know why), others cannot read any.
I know that the card is readble, because the file explorer app can read it and display all the files.
Can anyone help me with this please?
Thanks!

Do you have a .nomedia file anywhere on your sd card? This will stop any file being read and they can sometimes create themselves, no idea why though. If it's on your music folder that could be why 91 seems to work as it could be outside the folder with .nomedia.

^ you'll need to select show hidden files in your file explorer settings to display .nomedia :)
Also your music is inside a folder called "music" right? :)

I have the same issue. I Tried with google play music and musicolet. Both just dont find the music. And I have the music on a sd card, in the map "music" and there is no .nomedia file.. Any solution?

I have the same issue. I Tried with google play music and musicolet. Both just dont find the music. And I have the music on a sd card, in the map "music" and there is no .nomedia file.. Any solution?
do you have google music manager on your pc? that is the best way to get your music to your phone. it will find any music on your pc and then upload it to the cloud. you can then listen to the music on your phone without having to worry about space on your sd card. it will stream your music....however, you can choose to have them downloaded, if you would like them on either your phone or sd card.

Hi, I have a Nokia 3.1 running Android 9. I have a problem which seemed to start after a recent update...
I have a 128gb SD card with about 45gb of music on it.
Most music player apps don't seem able to read the card properly (the only ones that can read it have really bad user interfaces and limited functions)
Some music player apps can read a few tracks (91 seems to be a common number, I don't know why), others cannot read any.
I know that the card is readble, because the file explorer app can read it and display all the files.
Can anyone help me with this please?
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, what file format are your music files? (ie. wav or mp3 etc)

Are the 91 files a different file format from the rest?

I ask these questions because it can be a file format that the music players are having trouble with. If you don't mind, please try VLC media player which can play all file types, even the most obscure. It's both a video and audio player...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc&hl=en_US

Back
Top Bottom