• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Musical Problems... Almost giving up...

Let me preface that I am a PC person and also have two Ipods(gen 3 and gen 5), When I got my first Ipod I hated it because I grew up with command prompt, not tap and click. Now I have adapted and see that the Android OS is kind of in between PC and Ipod. I am liking it so far but am at my wits end. Please help.

I have a Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T210R with a 64G Samsung SD card. and have tried several different ways of putting my music on it from my computer to no avail. The whole reason I got this tablet was to upload all my music to and use in my car (to be honest because it has expandable memory and my Samsung Alias 2 has been faithful for the last 5-6 years with the usual other fun reasons to have a Tablet as distant seconds). I am also having problems with transferring files between the memory card and the tablet weather connected or not connected to the PC. Here is the useless chat I had with a Samsung rep Everything bolded is where I am having problems for the skimmers:

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationAll Samsung Agents are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. A Samsung Agent will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationAll Samsung Agents are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. A Samsung Agent will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Ken '. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK1117901644434X
Ken : Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
Travis: I have a galaxy tab 3 and no clue how to install music from my computer nor how to transfer things to the memory card, it keeps giving me error messages when attempting to do it under "my files"
Ken : I will be glad to assist you with that.
Travis: I tried loading all the music to the memory card first but only about 10 of 2000+ songs would work
Ken : Could you please tell me the model number of the device from rear panel?
Travis: SM-T210R
Ken : Thank you for the model number.
Ken : Are you following the below steps to transfer the files from My files to SD card?
Ken : 1. Please go to apps (small dots) on top right corner of the screen.
Ken : 2. Tap on "My files" and select the files you want to move to SD card.
Ken : 3. Once you select the files, tablet will display scissor symbol on top right corner of the screen.
Ken : 4. Tap on the scissor symbol to cut the files and then go back to "My files".
Ken : 5. Once you go back to "My files" you will be able to locate "Ext SD card" folder in the My files, select "Ext SD card" folder.
Ken : 6. In Ext SD card folder, please select a folder or create an new folder and open the folder.
Ken : 7. Once you open the folder, you will be able to locate paste option on top right corner of the screen (file symbol), please tap on paste symbol to get all the files moved to SD card.
Travis: Well that is one of my problems, I have no folders in my external sd, will try that part right now.
Ken : Okay, please go ahead.
Travis: now when trying to make a file it says "access denied"
Ken : May I know the file you are trying to access?
Travis: I am just trying to create one for my music on the external sd through the tab
Ken : Are you facing issue with any other music file?
Travis: yes, I have almost 20 gigs of music and when I tried loading them on the card from my computer(directly) they loaded fine, when I put the card into the tablet more than half of the music was missing and the ones showing up wouldn't play and kept giving me error messages when attempting to play them. All of them are MP3 and almost 1800 of the songs are from the same source
Ken : I see that you have sent me quite a bit of information. I

Is the card formatted exFAT? Did you format it in the phone?

Are you using a USB port directly on the computer? (Some hubs mess up long file transfers.)

Have you tried transferring a few hundred megs at a time?

As far as the folder goes, you never know when you'll bed the card for something else, so putting them into /mp3 or something would be a good idea.

Oh, and copy, never cut, even if you don't want them on the computer. If the transfer blows up you could lose everything. (Keeping them on the computer is a good backup, though.)

Upvote 0
When I did a direct transfer(card in card slot on my computer, before ever being installed in the tablet or any other device for that matter) I made a "Music" file then I transferred about 18Gb at first and when that was done I transferred another 2-3Gb, both into the music file. I then checked through a few of the dividing folders to see that all the lists in those few were the same as on my PC. After that I played a couple via Itunes from the memory card and everything was great. I removed the card and put it in the tablet, when I opened it in the tablet only about 3-4Gb worth of songs showed in the player and of those only about 10 of my random selections would play. The rest gave me error codes saying they were invalid formats(which all songs were all MP3 at 256Kb/s).

I thought the card may need to be formatted for the tablet so I formatted it in the tablet(wiping everything), USB connected the tablet and opened the memory card in My Computer. Then I created another Music folder and transferred about 1Gb worth with the same effect. I got the bright idea of going to a buddy's chopped and screwed site and downloaded a couple of his RAR files, downloaded a RAR extractor and that worked but they refuse to have anything to do with the memory card and now my internal memory is full but it won't even overflow onto the card.

Got the card on ebay.

UPDATE: I tried the 4GB that came with my Samsung Alias 2 5 years ago. Took it from the phone, put it in the tablet, formatted it, tried loading songs via usb, same effect... I know my files aren't corrupt, they have been on my computer for a year or so and have never had a problem with my Itunes or WMP

Is the card formatted exFAT? Did you format it in the phone?

Are you using a USB port directly on the computer? (Some hubs mess up long file transfers.)

Have you tried transferring a few hundred megs at a time?

As far as the folder goes, you never know when you'll bed the card for something else, so putting them into /mp3 or something would be a good idea.

Oh, and copy, never cut, even if you don't want them on the computer. If the transfer blows up you could lose everything. (Keeping them on the computer is a good backup, though.)
Card was formatted in the tablet.

USB is direct to 2.0 port on the side of the computer.

Have not tried transferring less than 1GB.

Yeah I always copy, I try to make sure I have stuff saved across at least 2
devices ever since my HDD in this computer crashed back in 09 and I lost everything.

Upvote 0
Update, Friday my Tab decided it was not going to charge(put it on the charger when it was at 15%) left it plugged into the wall until sunday and somehow it completely died. Took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a new one and it is working perfect, downloading around 1G at a time to the card directly inserted into the memory card slot tried it after I got about 10 gigs on there and it seems to be working perfectly. I lost progress on a few games but I am 100x more satisfied now! I just hope this one doesn't crap out in a couple weeks like the other one did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones