• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My 30-Day (Or Less) T-Mobile Experiment

I have to say, when I made the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile, I thought I was going to get a lot less than what I have gotten. Other than inside big/metal buildings that even Verizon had trouble with, I have been quite happy. One of the best moves I ever made I feel.

Screenshots_2013-03-22-03-30-04_zps425fd808.png

Screenshot_2013-08-19-23-58-59_zps250ceff9.png

In the Bay Area, NUFF SAID for me!

That's cool and all, Bigprimo, but I don't even really care all that much about blazing data speed on my handsets. Not that I won't take it if I can get it, but it's just not that important, to me. What's important to me is that the thing work well as a phone, before anything else.

Besides: If we move to TMO, it'll be on the $80/mo. plan for my wife and I. That 500MB of 4G will probably run out fast. I've already consumed 33MB, it's only been 3-1/2 days, and I've used WiFi whenever I could.

Jim

I understand what you are saying. And from what you have posted, it looks like you have done some thorough testing.

I see you tested Facebook and Google Maps. Do you use those often? Because if you do, the data speeds do come into play. I use both and it was frustrating on my Boost/Sprint phones to use those with no Wifi around. With T-Mobile , sometimes it is faster than Wifi.

Glad you got the Sensation. :D

Besides: If we move to TMO, it'll be on the $80/mo. plan for my wife and I. That 500MB of 4G will probably run out fast. I've already consumed 33MB, it's only been 3-1/2 days, and I've used WiFi whenever I could.

Jim

I used 6.7 GB of LTE data in just about 24 hours when I first signed up >_<

If you wanted less minutes and more data, you could both go on the 30 dollar prepaid plan. Plus it would save more money. 100 minutes, unlimited texting and 5gb of data before throttling. That's what I use.

If you wanted less minutes and more data, you could both go on the 30 dollar prepaid plan. Plus it would save more money. 100 minutes, unlimited texting and 5gb of data before throttling. That's what I use.

THis ^^^

Plus VOIP apps on LTE sound alot better. I rarely use my (voice) minutes.
I use Viber to call my wife and she's got Viber on her Gnex. Works great on Wifi AND LTE

That's cool and all, Bigprimo, but I don't even really care all that much about blazing data speed on my handsets. Not that I won't take it if I can get it, but it's just not that important, to me. What's important to me is that the thing work well as a phone, before anything else.

Jim

Not sure why you wouldn't go with a $90 or other family plan ($90 would be I line has 2.5 GB and the other line 500 MB). It is one of the nice things about T-Mobile's family plans, you can buy each person the amount of data they will need.

Or, as others have mentioned, go for the $30 plan with 100 minutes talk, unlimited text and 5GB unthrottled data, and use a VOIP app ($60 for two lines).

Why not go 130$ for unlimited on both phones? That's what I was quoted when I asked about adding a line in the future. 500Mb is just for the hotspot.

I have also switched recently to T-Mobile, their service is great for me.

I was switching over from Boost.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Day 7

The phone is somewhere between "I really like it" and "just okay." Or it's both :p The battery life sucks. I suspect it needs a new battery. I updated to ICS last night, as T-Mobile claimed improved battery life. Doesn't look like it, to me, so far. I'll know by the end of the day.

The update lost me hands-free dialing entirely. (T-Mobile's warning, which I'll note you have to look for, says you'll lose Bluetooth hands-free dialing, not all hands-free dialing.) Not such a big deal, tho, as the hands-free dialing on this handset kinda sucked, anyway. (N.B.: TMO and HTC promised to address this. It remains un-addressed. Black mark for both companies.)

Other than that: Whether the upgrade to ICS is a wise idea or not remains to be seen. Overall the phone feels nicer, but I'm wondering how many more ugly surprises are laying in wait for me?

T-Mobile's network continues to satisfy.

Jim

I've had both HTC and Samsung phones. I liked every phone that I had. Common strike against all of them. Battery life. They just cannot get that part right.

Of course, rooting, and using extra batteries helps overcome that "handicap" ;)

I've had both HTC and Samsung phones. I liked every phone that I had. Common strike against all of them. Battery life. They just cannot get that part right.

Of course, rooting, and using extra batteries helps overcome that "handicap" ;)

Smartphone life! :p Nokias last years and flip phones last a while too. But i will tell you guys this, it's better than the iPhone's battery!

And also, for the OP, buy an Amaze battery! Or an Anker battery! They'll help!

Please not that 2 hours screen time is good for a wimpy Sensation. My S3 lasts 5 hours screen time. Excellent! Samsung paid off. :)

Bought the Anker. 1st day's results here: http://androidforums.com/android-accessories/755988-batteries-who-trust.html#post6104012

I didn't add it up, but, with the "intense" usage I put on it the last couple hours, last night, I think I got over two hours of screen-on time.

For example: The last... hour? or so it was running WiFi Analyzer with the screen locked "on." I was trying to drag the new battery down, so I could cycle it all the way, and it was stubbornly resisting ;)

Currently at 72% after 6 hours off the charger, with light-to-moderator use. 37% of that to voice calls, 32% to screen, according to battery widget. 12% to WiFi. Those three comprise 80% of my consumption, today.

Jim

Your Sensation is kicking our Amaze's a$$e$. :p

Back
Top Bottom