• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help my ally keeps killing sd cards why

dcooterfrog

I am not using an ext partion I have killed and rma(ed) to new egg
just regular froyo aps to sd with androidsecure directory.

WHY?

I keep getting the checking for errors message
so far each time I have been able to access my card directly from my pc using an adapter. then I format the card and copy the data back and it works ok for a while.

I have tried 2 different 16 gb class 10 cards ( a cheap one and a good one. they last about 60 days

Are you doing a full format vs a "quick" format? I got the cheap 16gb sd card and have had it for 6 months now with no issues. As soon as it boots up it does the checking for errors thing but i have never had problems. The ally cant make use of the r/w speeds of a class 10 but that shouldnt cause any issues. Maybe the sd card slot itself has an issue.

That's another annoyance I've experienced. This is the third one and 2 phones. Is there something wrong with the reader in the handset itself or what. I'm also getting the unmount all by itself issue and it won't remount unless I reinsert the sdcard. This is becomming a normal routine reinserting the card. I mind as well rip off that little cover being now its in the way

I had similar SD issues at first, and it seems the cause was that I was unmounting and physically removing the card to use in a USB adapter on my PC. In one discussion with Dots I learned that removing the Ally SD card has been proven to cause these problems. He said to leave the card inserted and only use the charge/USB cable to transfer files. Since following that advice my SD card problems went away, except for a point in time when I was using the LG desktop dock I got for the Ally as a connection to transfer files.

The dock works great for charging. But its connection to the Ally is unreliable and SD problems such as you describe resumed until I caught the dock connection malfunctioning. I since use ONLY the cable, direct from a case-mounted USB jack on my PC to the Ally. No USB hubs in the path!

Doing so, my SD card problems have stopped totally. I use a Newegg Class 10 16GB card which sold for about $30 at the time, and it is working fine now.

I have seen an online video showing how to 'tighten' up a sloppy USB jack on the Ally, so this must also be a rather common issue as well.

Back