• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My experience as newbie rooter and upgrade to ICS

salla43

Hi Guys

I decided, because of the terrible copy text function on 2.3.6 to root my phone and upgrade to ICS.

Within 4 hrs i had successfully rooted my phone following various You tube vids and installed the Chinese repack OS and followed up with the ICS overlay ROM.

All went fairly smoothly and now i have ICS!

But there are a few things which do not work...

Video - doesnt work

WMA files - will not be even read by the OS at all for some reason - UPDATE: All my WMA's are on the external SD card, but the system only mounts the internal SD Card, I found Poweramp to be able to play my WMAs ok. So, the OS will read WMA files, but there is some lack of native support for playing them.

I am actually very surprised at how stable it all is, and how much does work.

And the copy function is now usable whereas before it was all but impossible to use :-))))

So, as one who is pretty mediocre when it comes to such things, I can say the whole process was pretty painless, and the results are very good!

But I would say, i wouldn't upgrade for the sake of it. I had a specific reason to do it. I lost a good part of the functionality of the phone (ie wma and video loss) to be able to achieve a desired result which was impeding my business use of the phone to a large degree.

I have been using the phone solely for work since last night, as a test - ie no computer access for work; and now its a seamless thing - ie transition between pc and "phablet"

Back
Top Bottom