• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My GNex has gotten slow to the point where there is a delay in turning the screen on

blahblahyoutoo

The series of events is as follows:
I press the power button
Nothing happens
I press the power button again, within a second, thinking that perhaps I didn't press it hard enough
Screen turns on
Screen turns off immediately after

16GB GSM GNex, 4.2.1, stock, not rooted

I won't say that it's caused by 4.2.1 because I don't know for sure, but it def started happening recently and more frequently.
Sometimes it's slower than others, e.g. if left idle for a long time, if it's downloading/updating an app.

What steps have you already taken to troubleshoot the issue? (ie; using cache & history cleaners, resetting data for apps that hold a ton of info, uninstalling all of your user downloaded apps, factory resetting etc.)

I actually haven't.
Was thinking it was more CPU related than anything else but I don't know of a tool that gives a CPU usage readout.
And it's actually going to be hard to capture, being that the screen is off when this is happening.

Lets try to troubleshoot a bit and get some things out of the way so that we can rule out temp files clogging up the phone.

Install Android Assistant from the Play store, and on the 3rd tab on the top, tap on Tools. Then tap on Cache Cleaner and then Clean All. Back out of there to the Tools menu again and tap on System Clean and then Clean Selected (everything should be checked). Reboot the phone. You can uninstall Android Assistant if you don't wish to keep it (I use it specifically to clear cache and history every other day).

If you have a lot of text messages saved, you can also try deleting those to free up some space. There's a few free apps on Google Play that allow you to backup MMS and SMS messages to your SD.

As for a CPU tool, I'm not sure which app you would use. Perhaps someone else can chime in with a few suggestions for you to try.

Lets try to troubleshoot a bit and get some things out of the way so that we can rule out temp files clogging up the phone.

Install Android Assistant from the Play store, and on the 3rd tab on the top, tap on Tools. Then tap on Cache Cleaner and then Clean All. Back out of there to the Tools menu again and tap on System Clean and then Clean Selected (everything should be checked). Reboot the phone. You can uninstall Android Assistant if you don't wish to keep it (I use it specifically to clear cache and history every other day).

If you have a lot of text messages saved, you can also try deleting those to free up some space. There's a few free apps on Google Play that allow you to backup MMS and SMS messages to your SD.

As for a CPU tool, I'm not sure which app you would use. Perhaps someone else can chime in with a few suggestions for you to try.

i'll try it thx.

didn't want to risk brick.
it's my only phone lol.

my n7 is rooted though :p

FWIW, nexus phones are almost impossible to brick. you may mess it up, but with a few commands, you are back in business.

and FWIW, i dont have this issue. do you have a lot of lock screen widgets applied? i read that using all the spaced provided could cause and issue like this.

and when in doubt, factory reset. its the only way to ensure it is not hardware related. if it happens after a factory reset, then it is hardware and not software.

Just reading through this forum. Tried this app and I do see some noticeable improvement in my speed. Thanks

factory reset. its the only way to ensure it is not hardware related.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. While successful troubleshooting the long way may be a pain in the butt, it's often required to do it via process of elimination first (to rule out apps, over clogging of temp or history files etc. etc. etc). Not only is this more efficient, but if it turns out to be a single app causing the issue then you have the option to report the bug to the app developer so that it can be fixed. Unless time is of the utmost importance, factory resetting should be the very last resort.

Back