• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My HTC Inspire Experience...

Aatos.1

Android Enthusiast
My HTC Inspire 4G has turned out to be fantastic. Everything about it has been outstanding since I finished doing some optimization without rooting.

Purchased on the day they were released, it's been long enough now to know this phone is fast, stable & reliable. I've got loads of time on it and it's really proven itself.

The build quality is great, and the secret to easily opening the battery door is to use a small flathead screwdriver to lift it up right on the center outer edge.

HTC phones are designed & built by brilliant engineers. Why people who know nothing, to very little, about Android seem to think they need task killers is nonsense. The Android OS is like a computer OS, based on Linux its _supposed_ to have tasks running in the background. Plus only some are active, others just sit there till they are needed. They do _not_ consume power. There are so many other variables that impact battery life, many people experience "the placebo effect".

Also, don't you think HTC is aware of the fact you want long battery life? They do an excellent job of equipping the phone with the correct size battery.

The battery life I get from _my_ Inspire is excellent! Every bit As good as any phone I have, and I have _four_ currently activated phones. ( I know, I'm addicted :) )

I've also had an Atrix, don't let the specs fool you it's not a great phone yet. Give it a gen of two if it lasts that long, otherwise avoid this phone.

Even my iPhone 4 (ewe) doesn't get the battery life I get from my Inspire with just a few tweaks like carefully setting the brightness and a few other adjustments. Of all the various smartphones I've had, Android is by far the best mobile OS. FAR better than iOS 4.

The 4.3" display is outstanding for all the time I spend on the net (I travel lot) and handling emails, chat, etc. My phone gets a real workout.

So far this Inspire, is my ninth and best Android phone.

I expect this build of ver 2.2 to be the best till 2.3 or 2.4 are well sorted out. Based on what I've seen that's months away yet. In fact I'm running 2.3 on an HTC Desire and it's got too many bugs to be ready for use on ones only phone.

In my opinion after using most of the handset brands & smartphone operating systems, your best bet is HTC & Android ver 2.2

If you're on AT&T you're in luck because they now have the Inspire, a truly excellent Android phone.

Cheers

awsome write up! now Ive decided to get the inspire to replace my iPhone 3GS. how does te battery life compare to that of the 3GS?

awsome write up! now Ive decided to get the inspire to replace my iPhone 3GS. how does te battery life compare to that of the 3GS?
All depends what's modes are enabled and how much it's used. People who go nuts seem to be able to kill the battery in about 5-hrs. Normal use seems to see it last 15-hrs or so.

what if I disable all forms of auto sync? (email, facebook,etc...) will the battery life be better than with auto sync on?

I have it set to allow Gmail & Google maps immediate acces. The rest I use as I need them. I get 7 to 8 hours non-stop on the web, about 60 emails, while using maps & the phone. Display brightness about 75%. The ease of which one can turn on & off services & use dynamic setups is just terrific. Once I learned 2.2 inside & out, you find out how much it's truly capable of.

All to often it's easy to get caught up in reading spec sheets. Then once you use the phone for a period of time it's revealed just how useful it is. At this point I have no great desire for further OS upgrades since this is taking care of my needs so well.

I added an Inspire to my phone group. It arrived today and I must say I'm impressed with it. It's a very slim, trim and beautiful phone, and seems to be very fast and stable.My three other phones are all rooted, so speed and stability are the first things I look for after installing a custom rom. I had sort of figured that the Inspire would look and act like an overgrown Droid Incredible, but nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, my Dinc has been rooted and running custom roms for close to a year now, and I had forgotten what the Sense UI looked like and how it acted. I've no immediate plans to root this phone, so I'm going to re-acquaint myself with Sense and get the feel for this new and very excellent phone.

-Mike

Very nice. I will have my Inspire tonight, and I can't wait!!!!! thanks for the thoughts on it.
Scott

Great write up, i came from a 3gs and 4 also and have not looked back.
Other thing is that i think this phone works great with the stock rom, at this point i dont feel the need to root or flash. Last HTC was with winmo, had to flash within a couple of days.
All i need is probably the sim unlock when i travel, other than that, its all good

A brief update:

I must say I continue to be very impressed with the Inspire, even now that the "newness" has worn off.

Having rooted every one of the dozen Android phones I've had prior to this one, I have decided _not_ to root this one for several reasons.

It's fast, fun, and does all that I want for starters.

Next, I'm really enjoying this version of the Sense UI, and it's been so stable and reliable I have nothing objectionable happening. This is especially notable since I put so much time on this phone and really put it through it's paces.

Finally I'm thrilled that AT&T finally has a truly good Android phone in it's lineup. I tried an Atrix but it just didn't measure up.

Cheers :)

A brief update:

I must say I continue to be very impressed with the Inspire, even now that the "newness" has worn off.

Having rooted every one of the dozen Android phones I've had prior to this one, I have decided _not_ to root this one for several reasons.

It's fast, fun, and does all that I want for starters.

Next, I'm really enjoying this version of the Sense UI, and it's been so stable and reliable I have nothing objectionable happening. This is especially notable since I put so much time on this phone and really put it through it's paces.

Finally I'm thrilled that AT&T finally has a truly good Android phone in it's lineup. I tried an Atrix but it just didn't measure up.

Cheers :)

I'm with you on this. I had an HTC tilt2 before this inspire. I flashed a new Rom on the tilt a day after I got it, and thus far, I see no need to flash anything on this phone. Imho the snapdragon processor kicks butt, and allows me to do everything I want at the speed I want! Per your thought on task killers I decided to delete the one I was using and the battery life is still just fine!!

Thanks
Scott

HTC should be shot for putting these speakers in such an Otherwise premium phone

I heartily agree. It's one of the two complains that I have.

the other is the stupid AT&T navigator crap. Which if I root my phone it will be to get rid of the bloatware on the device, and that's it.

I just got the inspire on Sat and I love it. I have been thru iphone 4/3gs/captivate/droid x/evo/ and now the inspire. It is a great phone, I have had someone just offer me a brandnew Atrix with car doc and hdmi cable for my inspire. They lost their phone and got a replacement thru insurance, ATT will not let them trade back for the inspire. what do u guys think ?? I figured worse case I can sell on ebay pocket a few bucks and grab another inspire.

Back
Top Bottom