• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My problem with Moto assist

I got a Droid Turbo recently, my first Android device. So glad I went with this over the LG G3, I love it. But I have a question about Moto assist. I want to set it up on my phone, but I'm having a problem. Not a technical issue, but a preferencial issue.

I like science fiction movies. I love movies where there are things like Jarvis, with whom Tony Stark simply has to have a casual conversation with his resident AI in order to get him to do stuff. That is so cool to me, and I'd love to feel that close to the future in whatever way I can. That is why I never in my life want to utter the phrase "OK Google Now" or "OK Droid Turbo." I think I would start to feel like I was the robot, not the other way around.

I want to activate Moto by saying "Hey Droid." Or "Hey Android," or "What's up Droid." But no matter what phrase I like, it gets rejected because it's too few syllables. I don't want to have to say more than 3 syllables to activate my phone's voice control, ever, otherwise it would be easier to swipe my finger on the screen and do whatever I want to do myself. I might sound like an obsessed, nitpicking OCD maniac, but I insist. It breaks the entire purpose of a futuristic robot assistant for me to have to say 5 or 6 syllables just to make it acknowledge that I am speaking. Not to mention I have seen people in this forum who have been able to get away with something like "OK Droid" or "Hey Jarvis" with no argument.

So all I'm asking is, is there a way to turn off the syllable limiter, or a way to use a shorter phrase at all? Otherwise Moto is useless to me.

Hope I didn't appear too angry or flustered. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
I use "OK Droid" as my phrase. To train it I used "OK Droid Now" as my phrase and tried it over-and-over-and-over until it was finally accepted. I believe I had to do it 23 times before it was accepted. After it was trained it responded to "OK Droid".

(I found this solution by accident ... I just couldn't have the word Google in my phrase.)

... Thom

Back
Top Bottom