• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Thoughts After Trying the iPhone

I prefer Lenovo over the other china brands, if i had to choose. But if i can avoid them altogether, i would

I'd speculate, the "big guys" in China would be Hauwei, ZTE, Lenovo, and maybe Xiaomi.
Well DANG! I should have known, I have a Lenovo myself. :mad:
I forgot China/Lenovo had bought the American company, IBM out in 2005.

My current system:
Lenovo ThinkPad W520 4270 - 15.6" - 1920 x 1080 full HD screen - Core i7 2620M - 16GB DDR3 Memory - 246GB SSD - 500GB 7200rpm HDD - NVIDIA Quadro 1000M with 2GB DDR3 memoryy / Intel HD Graphics - 9 cell battery - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I'd speculate, the "big guys" in China would be Hauwei, ZTE, Lenovo, and maybe Xiaomi.

Yeh that's them, there's some others as well, like TCL(who make Alcatel), Oppo(what I've got), Meizu, Hisense, Haier, Vivo, Coolpad, there's a few more as well.

Here's the thing though Apple, Samsung, Sony and HTC do very well in China as well, however they attract a premium price as they're perceived as being foreign, and many, more affluent people just will not touch Chinese brands. In fact there's many that believe that iPhones are made in the USA, when we know full well where they're made. Although Apple maybe trying to change that on their products, because they now have "Designed by Apple in California, 中国制造" rather than "Designed by Apple in California, Assembled in China" just in English, or even just "Designed by Apple in California", and no indication of country of origin.

"中国制造" - meaning, Made in China.

Yeh that's them, there's some others as well, like TCL(who make Alcatel), Oppo(what I've got), Meizu, Hisense, Haier, Vivo, Coolpad, there's a few more as well.

Here's the thing though Apple, Samsung, Sony and HTC do very well in China as well, however they attract a premium price as they're perceived as being foreign, and many, more affluent people just will not touch Chinese brands. In fact there's many that believe that iPhones are made in the USA, when we know full well where they're made. Although Apple maybe trying to change that on their products, because they now have "Designed by Apple in California, 中国制造" rather than "Designed by Apple in California, Assembled in China" just in English, or even just "Designed by Apple in California", and no indication of country of origin.

"中国制造" - meaning, Made in China.
You know... you guys are gonna take over USA without firing a shot the way things are going... China virtually owns USA financially now. Seriously!

FYI the 'back' button is in any iOS app at least as of iOS 6, in the upper left corner (about where Play Store has the new menu button) but it will not take you to the home screen.

That is the case most of the time. I find that occasionally, the button is somewhere else on the screen. The button is labelled differently depending on the app.

On Android, the back button will not take you to the home screen unless it is the first screen you went to from the home screen. To go to the home screen, you press the home button.

Depends on whether or not the person even cares about every single, often bug-riddled update. I don't

I would be happy to see some...

Best regards,
Android 4.1.2 since january 2013 and still i have to wait kitkat to get some apps to work (kitkat was released on may for my device which means that it makes A huge jump from 4.1.2 to 4.4.x because samsung didnt bother to make 4.2 or 4.3 - they were too busy announcing new devices. When finally they made 4.4.2, it lacks some features that I already have and i will loose those features. An update seems to be made in hurry and many people who have updated to kitkat are now rooting and getting JB back. But again, I need the update to get some apps working.)

One of the reasons I swapped to the iPhone almost two years ago is because of the update process. Apple has 100% authority on updates. No carriers get in the way. When they announce a new version you know every year when that new version will be released. If you have an iPhone from within the last 2 gens then you're pretty much guaranteed the update. The argument always comes up "well so and so has an iPhone 4 and he won't get the update" . Ok fine. How many people actually keep the same device longer than 2 years? Probably a very small percentage at least in the techie world. yes I know Apple has more room to move in the update process because they control the hardware and all that Jazz. IDC I like knowing no one stands in the way of my updates. ...don't get me started on fragmentation issues with Android.

One of the reasons I swapped to the iPhone almost two years ago is because of the update process. Apple has 100% authority on updates. No carriers get in the way. When they announce a new version you know every year when that new version will be released. If you have an iPhone from within the last 2 gens then you're pretty much guaranteed the update. The argument always comes up "well so and so has an iPhone 4 and he won't get the update" . Ok fine. How many people actually keep the same device longer than 2 years? Probably a very small percentage at least in the techie world. yes I know Apple has more room to move in the update process because they control the hardware and all that Jazz. IDC I like knowing no one stands in the way of my updates. ...don't get me started on fragmentation issues with Android.
Fragmentation with android is a dead issue. They effectively did away with it.

Google updates darn near everything via the play store. The android version number means less now than it has ever before. As long as you've got a phone running 4.1+ (and the same argument for your ip4 consumer applies here) you'll get the core app and functionality updates.

You no longer have to wait for your carrier to update you to X.x.x in order to get new maps or now functionality

iPhone 5S are like the Broncos
Galaxy S5 are like the Seahawks

End of debate! :D

Fragmentation with android is a dead issue. They effectively did away with it.

Google updates darn near everything via the play store. The android version number means less now than it has ever before. As long as you've got a phone running 4.1+ (and the same argument for your ip4 consumer applies here) you'll get the core app and functionality updates.

You no longer have to wait for your carrier to update you to X.x.x in order to get new maps or now functionality

Yes but it wasn't like that 2 years ago.

iPhone 5S are like the Broncos
Galaxy S5 are like the Seahawks

End of debate! :D

....here we go....

BUT... after you have owned a Samtoy, it will be more like as 'ex-samdroid'- if you ever planned and hoped to get updates.

Updates matter to me if I hope to have some bugs fixed or if there is a new feature that I have to have. With smartphones being such complex devices, I don't even use most of the features before an update let alone any new features provided with the update. With the Galaxy S3, the only significant update where I have noticed a change that mattered was the JB update. It made the phone noticeably smoother.

In general, I tend to be happy with the way my phone works. Even with Android L coming up, I just feel that even if I don't get anymore updates, I am happy with the way my phone works as is. My GS3 has been rock solid for most of the 2 years that I have owned it. The only time I was somewhat unhappy was when I rooted my phone for a few months to get a specific feature. It caused some other performance issues, but I have unrooted since then as I no longer needed that one features.

If I were to get a new phone today, I would definitely give the Galaxy S5 some serious consideration. As I have been very happy with my Galaxy S3, I wouldn't have a problem sticking with Samsung.

Right now, I'm very interested in Project Ara and that would be what I would look for next year. The prospect of getting a physical keyboard on a non-low-end phone is piquing my interest at the moment. I'll have to see what is available in a year's time when I will likely retire my Galaxy S3.

Actually fragmentation still exists, and is Google's fault. Their inconsistent support of the Nexus 10 and 7 compared with the Nexus 5 in the KitKat update comes to mind. I'm certain they'll omit things from L on the 10 as well. So much for the 'Nexus promise'

At least Samsung adds things to their updates making them worth the wait. Google makes updating anything other than the Nexus 5 moot. They must've run out of ideas given that the key features in L (such as lockscreen notifications ala iOS) have been incorporated into TouchWiz since 4.0. Since Samsung is so far ahead of Google I'll stick with being a Samdroid for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom