• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NabiJR OTA Update and such

I have my NabiJR rooted and installed TWRP to make sure I have the original ROM backed up. I attempted to use the Nabi App Store app and it tells me I have to update with the OTA Update available so I let it do its thing and DL it then it reboots and TWRP fails to install it. I then installed the Stock Recovery again and tried it and it fails as well. Is there anything I can do to make this OTA update go through? I have the OTA zip file backed up but I dont know what I am doing with it.

Also does anyone know of a way to backup the Nabi Jr Launcher to be able to use it on another tablet I have for my daughter? I tried just the APK for the Add App and Nabi Mode and it crashes when it loads. Thank you in advance.

OTA updates won't install on modified firmware. They could brick the phone if thy tried. You'll have to restore the phone to its original condition (plus any data or apps you installed) to install an OTA update. (OTA updates make certain assumptions about certain things in the phone, that can't be relied upon if the firmware has been modified in any way. In the AT&T Note 3, for example, if you had installed a 4.4.2 custom ROM, then reverted back to 4.3, the official 4.4.2 OTA update wouldn't install without a lot of work.)

Not at all familiar with your device, osxuser001, but as you've surmised, an OTA typically needs a stock recovery to be installed (there are validation checks done make sure it's the right device and that all of the files that would be patched matched what is expected, including the currently installed recovery).

The best thing to do when an OTA fails is to view the last_install log file that gets created in the /cache/recovery folder. That should give you information about what the installation failed on and allow you to try to correct it.

Cheers and hope that helps!

:)

I restored the original unrooted ROM without Google apps and it did the ota update. I then made a new backup and rooted it and installed Google apps. Worked great. Thank you. Also I was able to install the OTA update using TWRP without stock recovery. I guess it didn't like it being rooted or gapps.

@osxuser001 i have a question km d of related. I'm trying to use the TWRP recovery. Already unlocked bootloader and installed the recovery. It has problems booting into recovery sometimes it that's not the real proem. When I do get it booted into TWRP j can't get the touchscreen to select anything, its like its unresponsive. Plz get back to me asap and let me know how you got it to work.

~Thanks, Ryan

Reply or PM (start a private conversation) with me, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
@osxuser001 i have a question km d of related. I'm trying to use the TWRP recovery. Already unlocked bootloader and installed the recovery. It has problems booting into recovery sometimes it that's not the real proem. When I do get it booted into TWRP j can't get the touchscreen to select anything, its like its unresponsive. Plz get back to me asap and let me know how you got it to work.

~Thanks, Ryan

Reply or PM (start a private conversation) with

I am having the same problem with twrp 2.6.1.0 I cannot touch anything to restore the backup. I did a backup and can see it on the nabi through explorerer when it is connected to my computer. When I use fastboot It reboots with a Pic of a usb symbol. It will not update or function. When I power it on it shows nabi logo and boots to a black screen. It looks like th android folder is missing files. What was your solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom