• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigation screen keeps popping up

winnipegk

Aug 13, 2011
This screen keeps popping up on my phone at random times. I did a factory reset and nothing. I use the nav system all the time, but this has never happened. Any ideas?

2013-07-16%2010.18.50.png

Sorry for some reason I didn't get any notifications of responses!

I'm using an HTC Desire HD. I haven't installed anything or downloaded anything lately.

My phone did die the other day and when I restarted it, it told me I had to download some location files for maps to work, so I did that....I think it started right after that.

The weird thing is when I open the nav system (with the little blue arrow) this isn't the screen that comes up. It comes up with my usual screens...this one just keeps popping up randomly.

Upvote 0
It isn't Maps Navigation (the blue arrow), it is HTC Location with its own navigation.
Go to Settings, Apps and look for Locations and then uninstall its updates.

Other option could be, when this Location app pops up, to open its Settings (to see in your picture). There might be the option to uncheck the automatic starting in a car dock (this was possible in a android version of the DHD before its last Android version).

Other option I remember, might be the app 'Dock No-Op' or 'Invisible Dock'.

Note, this might prevent the unwanted starting of the Location app and so treats the symptom, but the basic cause of the issue I've discribed in my first post above.

BTW, I'd a DHD a few years ago and I'd this issue too.

Harry

Upvote 0
It isn't Maps Navigation (the blue arrow), it is HTC Location with its own navigation.
Go to Settings, Apps and look for Locations and then uninstall its updates.

Other option could be, when this Location app pops up, to open its Settings (to see in your picture). There might be the option to uncheck the automatic starting in a car dock (this was possible in a android version of the DHD before its last Android version).

Other option I remember, might be the app 'Dock No-Op' or 'Invisible Dock'.

Note, this might prevent the unwanted starting of the Location app and so treats the symptom, but the basic cause of the issue I've discribed in my first post above.

BTW, I'd a DHD a few years ago and I'd this issue too.

Harry

Ok yeah you're right...when I open the "locations" app, this is the screen that opens. I can't find any of those options anywhere...can I delete this app?

Upvote 0
Ok yeah you're right...when I open the "locations" app, this is the screen that opens. I can't find any of those options anywhere...can I delete this app?

No, you can't delete the app without been rooted. But you can uninstall the app's updates.

The option for unchecking automatically start of Locations did vanish with the latest Android update of the DHD, so I think you have this version.
So you might try these apps I mentioned (free in Play Store) which suppress the automatically start of the app.

... and your DHD's microUSD connector is clean you said? ;)

Harry

Upvote 0
No, you can't delete the app without been rooted. But you can uninstall the app's updates.

The option for unchecking automatically start of Locations did vanish with the latest Android update of the DHD, so I think you have this version.
So you might try these apps I mentioned (free in Play Store) which suppress the automatically start of the app.

... and your DHD's microUSD connector is clean you said? ;)

Harry

Yeah it's clean. :) I also cleared data from the app (you mentioned this in another thread I found) and it's still happening so I'll have to try the apps you mentioned. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
... The option for unchecking automatically start of Locations did vanish with the latest Android update of the DHD, so I think you have this version...
I'd a look at my old DHD ... and noticed I've this mixed up.
My DHD hasn't its latest Android update, so it has the option 'Dock' in its Settings. And Dock let my uncheck the automatically start of the HTC navigation.

My second mix up is the name of the HTC navigation, it has the same icon as Location, but with a green arrow added and its name is 'Car Panel'. And there is a widget named 'Navigate' with the same icon.
So uninstalling updates and data clearing should take place with Car Panel, not with Locations.

Maybe you'll find Dock in your DHD's settings and Car Panel in your drawer, but I think it's not that easy ... good luck :)

Harry

Upvote 0
Ugh so it's getting worse. Every 3 seconds this stupid screen is popping up, and yes, it seems to be the car mode, because it happens when I plug my phone in. I've downloaded a few dock blocker type apps (including the 2 you mentioned) and none of them have worked.

Any other ideas?

I'm on Android version 2.3.5
my phone is rooted and the OS I have is Android Revolution HD 7.3

Upvote 0
Did you've the same close look at the cable's microUSB connector? ;)

By chance, are you using a miniUSB to microUSB adapter?
Some of this adapters are jumping pin 4&5, that's the coding which forces the phone in car mode.

Harry

No I'm not using an adapter. I've looked at it in that I've cleaned it out and it looks normal but I don't really know what else I would be looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones