• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Need a registered domain to publish in play store?

Claghorn

Android Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2012
home.comcast.net
I would have thought this was an FAQ, but if it is, I can't find it anywhere :).

All the docs for android app package names talk about using your "company" domain name run backwards.

What if you don't have a company or a domain? Should you get one if you want to publish apps on the play store? Or can you just make up anything random like pie.puddin.porgie.georgie?

What do most independent developers of free apps on the play store do?

You can use anything you want. It needs however to be unique. The package name uniquely identifies the application.

I would recommend however going to GoDaddy or any other provider and register a domain. It is not that expensive (10-20$) or less per year. It would be good to also create a simple web page. The users will look at your application more seriously.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones