• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need definitions for two Acronyms

Justin89t

I have been looking into rooting with the OTA release of 2.2. I don't want all the bullshit VZW includes on their release so I'm thinking about installing a custom ROM.

I have came across two terms I cannot find a definition to by searching. Probably because they're so often used everything thinks everyone knows them already...

RUU - ?

S-ON(OFF) - ?

RUU is Rom Update Utility. It is an executable (.exe) file that you run on your computer with the phone connected via USB.

S-OFF has to do with security, and I believe it is needed if you want to maintain root after upgrading to Froyo..

I have been looking into rooting with the OTA release of 2.2. I don't want all the bullshit VZW includes on their release so I'm thinking about installing a custom ROM.

I have came across two terms I cannot find a definition to by searching. Probably because they're so often used everything thinks everyone knows them already...

RUU - ?

S-ON(OFF) - ?

I posted a step by step guide for going from Stock 2.1 to Rooted 2.2 here http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/162003-i-just-rooted-what-next.html

Also once you have 2.2., you can use Virtuous v2.3 located here [ROM] Virtuous v2.3 (8/29/10): Stock Sense/Froyo v3.21.605.1 w/Fixes & Enhancements - xda-developers that was posted by rmk40.

S-OFF turns security from on (S-ON) to off (S-OFF). When you have s-off you are able to use apps like metamorph, and you can update to official froyo then flash clockworkmod recovery and superuser and you wont lose root. You can read about it here.

S-OFF turns security from on (S-ON) to off (S-OFF). When you have s-off you are able to use apps like metamorph, and you can update to official froyo then flash clockworkmod recovery and superuser and you wont lose root. You can read about it here.

Thanks! I just came back to this thread to post that exact link. It's very descriptive!

The only thing I don't see explicitly writen is if I can turn s-on back on after turning it off.

Thanks! I just came back to this thread to post that exact link. It's very descriptive!

The only thing I don't see explicitly writen is if I can turn s-on back on after turning it off.

the link for the s-on tool is in this public:forever [RootWiki]

However you should never need to do that unless your a sending your phone in cause it broke.

you won't lose root if your security is in S-ON. You simply cannot access your /system folder via your operating system. You can only do it through recovery mode. I have flashed dozens of ROMs and my security is still S-ON. It also makes it a pain to update your baseband if your security is S-ON. And there are some Roms which would require S-OFF but none of the ones in ROM Manager require it.

if you want to turn your security off go to www.unrevoked.com/forever I probably won't do it until I want to flash a ROM that requires it. I have no need to access my /system folder.

Back
Top Bottom