• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with Gmail notifications

UncleMike

Android Expert
I'd like to have Gmail only notify me of messages it deems important, but after I've done something with that message in the app, I want to return to my Inbox, where I can see the unimportant messages too. The idea is that I only want to be interrupted by important messages, but one I've been interrupted I want to see what else has come in.

Using Priority Inbox seems to be the closest I can get, but it has a major (for me) drawback - moving the message to another folder doesn't remove the message from the Inbox like it does if I'm not using Priority Inbox, it adds the other folder label, but doesn't remove the Inbox label.

I should point out that this is not a new problem - it's been going on for what seems like forever - I've just finally reached the point where I want to fix it.

Any suggestions for getting the notification behavior I want, or at least fixing the issue with moving messages from the Priority Inbox?

in android Gmail you can independently adjust notification settings (off /on / custom-sound / notify-every-message vs notify-first-only) for each and every label including inbox, priority inbox, and custom labels you have set up based on filters ( filters and custom labels can only be defined on pc but show up on android Gmail once set up on pc gmail)

getting to the label notification settings is tricky: (ulhc) hamburger...(scroll down to...) settings .. YourHandle@Gmail.com .... manage labels. tap a label to change its notifications.

I don't use priority inbox...don't know much about it.

I may have missed your point about getting back to the inbox to take care of routine messages. you'd have to navigate to the inbox depending on where you left off..usually by clicking on left-arrow on upper left hand corner of the message that the notification click took you to.

Last edited:
Thanks. Setting label-specific notifications is one of the things I've tried, and it ends up being just another way of achieving the same result.

It seems that whatever label, Inbox, or Priority Inbox caused the notification, that's where I'll be returned to after tapping the notification, followed by moving, deleting or archiving the message. This would seem to be the expected behavior if I had manually navigated within the app to that label or Inbox and then moved/deleted/archived the message, because that's where I was before opening the message. But if I've opened the message from a notification, I want to return me to the (non-Priority) Inbox.

I guess what I'm really looking for is to have Auto-advance under General Settings offer Inbox as an option, in addition to Newer, Older, Conversation List. I currently have Conversation List selected, but that brings me back to the label/Inbox source of the notification.

I can see the logic of your request better now. I imagine only Google can help with that.

I was experimenting a little: it seems that back key from a displayed label pane will always take you to the inbox (even if you hadn't just come from the inbox). That makes it a little easier to get back to the inbox. So:
*After READING a message from non inbox notification, hit back twice to get to the inbox.
*After DELETING a message from a non inbox notification, hit back once to get to inbox.

I realize that's not what you're after, but I'm just mentioning it in case you didn't know about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom