• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help with movies and ebooks

kelmic

Lurker
Hi everyone. I just purchased the Acer Iconia 100 tablet... Is it possible, once i purchase and/or download movies or ebooks, to view them without being connected to wifi? I cannot find any information regarding this.

That really depends where you are purchasing them from. There are multiple places you can buy them from, and some will stream the files live, some will allow you to download them for offline use and some places will offer both.

For eBooks, most services allow you to download the ebook file to your phone. Personally, I've used three ebook apps: Google Play, Amazon Kindle and Kobo store. Amazon and Kobo download the full book the first time you read them and work offline just fine. Google play ebooks normally streams books via your data connection but allows you to download files for offline use (just make sure you remember to do this before you turn off your data connection).

I've never tried purchasing movies on my phone before, but I think your best bet would be to check the FAQ of whichever service you're going to buy them from and see whether they offer streams or downloads.

I know the Kindle app lets you download to your device and will even sync up between devices so you don't lose your spot.

If you can download to your computer, then you should be able to view on the tablet with no connection. I shoved a home recorded DVD of a football game on the SD card to test both the tab and Ubuntu, have a viewer that will use VOB which is what the Toshiba records in, and rewatched the divisional playoffs.

Most of my books are free - either public domain or Creative Commons. I just download epub format on the computer, put books on card, and I'm ready to read.

For rental movies, it's difficult to find services that allow you to view them offline. However, if you rent movies from the Play Store, you can do that. After you rent one, you can download it and "pin" it to one device. Then you have 30 days to start watching the movie. Once you start to watch, you have 24 hours to watch it as much as you like. After those time limits, the movie will no longer play.

Back
Top Bottom