• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help with printing from Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

I have an HP printer, and have installed from Google Play Store the apps HP ePrint and HP printer control. I've set up both, and the printer control app finds the printer and prints a test page. So the wireless connection exists and works.

But when I try to print an email, or a document from the Memo app, or from Kingston Office or Polaris Office, I get a message saying I can print only to a Samsung printer.

I'm new to Android and can't find any way to tell these apps which printer to use. Can someone please help me.

Also, does Android have anything similar to Windows Control Panel, which allows you to tweak anything tweakable in the OS? All I can find to do in the Settings/Applications manager is to Force stop or Uninstall an app.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Tom

It's been a while since I did anything with ePrint, but I believe the printer has to be ePrint compatible and registered with HP, which is part of the driver/software setup CD that accompanies it.

I think it's similar to Google's Cloud Print, which keeps the printer connected to Google's servers. In your case, using ePrint would keep the printer connected to HP over the Internet, which would then know where your printer is located, and where to send print jobs.

Perhaps someone who knows more about how it's used can add more...

Upvote 0
It's been a while since I did anything with ePrint, but I believe the printer has to be ePrint compatible and registered with HP, which is part of the driver/software setup CD that accompanies it.

I think it's similar to Google's Cloud Print, which keeps the printer connected to Google's servers. In your case, using ePrint would keep the printer connected to HP over the Internet, which would then know where your printer is located, and where to send print jobs.

Perhaps someone who knows more about how it's used can add more...

Thanks for the reply, jwither. The printer is ePrint compatible, is registered with HP, has an IP address... but the only app on the Galaxy that recognizes it is the HP printer control utility.

Upvote 0
Instead of using the Print command, I can use the Share/email command in Kingston Office, or the Send command in Email and Gmail... and send the item to my printer's email address, set up via HP.

For Kingston Office I have to select the text I want to send... it only sends what's selected. The two email programs send whatever is in the message body.

The Memo app sends the memo as a .vnt file attachment, which the printer can't open.

I can't find any way to Share or Send in Polaris Office.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones