• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Network Disconnect Issues?

tweak4

So here's an issue that's been popping up for the last couple weeks. Anyone else run into anything like this?

Background: My Nexus 7 is rooted, but running the stock rom.
My home router is dual-band, so I have networks on both 2.4GHz & 5GHz. They have separate SSIDs, but the Nexus has credentials for both.
I carry my Nexus in my work bag, so every morning it leaves the range of my network and every evening it returns.

Now, the first issue is that when I come home from work, the Nexus tends to connect to the 2.4GHz network, presumably because it's the first one it sees, due to the greater range of that band, but the 5GHz network shows in the list of available networks. However, when I disconnect and try to manually connect to the 5GHz, the connection often fails, and then the tablet refuses to acknowledge that the 5GHz network exists. It says the network is Out of Range, even if I'm right next to the router and can clearly see the network on any other 5GHz device.

The other weird thing is that even if I don't manually switch networks, it likes to drop connectivity about once per day. The wifi icon in the quick settings shade turns a kind of orange color, and there is no network communication. Again, I know the problem isn't the network itself, as no other devices are affected, but the only way to get the Nexus connected again is to disconnect from the network and then reconnect (either via switching to another network and back or turning wifi off and then back on).

I've been experiencing the first problem for about 6 weeks now, and the second for about a month.
Anyone else run into either or is it just me?

Back
Top Bottom