• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Network Type Stuck on EDGE 2G , not able to use 3g and 4G LTE?

I am Using Moto G 3 rd generation which supports 4G LTE , My Service provider is T-Mobile , i am not able to use 3G and 4G LTE . My device is always stuck with "E" symbol . I have android version 6.0.1

1)My preferred network type is LTE/GSM auto (PRL) in dialer ##4636## menu.

2) Also in settings, i set the preferred network type to be 4G(recommended) .

3)my Access Point Name and its settings are correct and its T-Mobile provided.

4)I have also tried Factory Reset.

5)My IMEI Information is correct.

6)I switched the SIM between slots and i have also tried different network.

Doing all of the above , i am still stuck with E and i am not able to access 4G or even 3G , please help

Only 2G is working and i am able to make calls.

Go to Settings - About Phone - Status- Sim Status and look at Network, signal strength, network type, service state and network state.
Post what is there.

Have you contacted T-Mobile customer service to see if there is anything they can do on their end.
Everything you posted looks as it should be to me.

There are two models of the Moto G 3rd gen that 3g and 4g are not compatible with T-Mobile. The XT 1541 and the XT 1550.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160607-125129.png
    Screenshot_20160607-125129.png
    450.1 KB · Views: 1,543
  • Screenshot_20160607-130309.png
    Screenshot_20160607-130309.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 487
that's why the carriers have a disclaimer regarding byod..since it was not built for their network, they'll advise you that they can only guarantee a 2G connection..it will be advisable to call the manufacturer in this case..rooting won't help you

It's also a way that manufactures and carrier's region lock devices. Carrier's in the States tend to lock down their branded devices and pre install unique software.
International versions are not as controlled so American carrier's like to use frequencies the rest of the world doesn't.
Can be confusing sometimes.
It's always good to check if the model phone you want to buy is compatible with the network you want to use it on.

http://willmyphonework.net

Good place to check.

Only solution here is... buy a new phone, annoyingly.

And considering that Google just neutered the heck out of Project Ara, that's not even a viable avenue anymore. :mad:

My model number is XT1550 and in its specifications it says that it supports LTE !

That's apparently a dual-SIM version as well. Did you buy it somewhere in Asia or something, e.g. Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines? They often don't bother with the US 3G and 4G LTE bands in those. You can get 2G Edge service in North America, and that's it.

Last edited:
From the tmo website they have a disclaimer for byod..not too sure if i can paste the link but anyways according to the site if it's a Non-T-Mobile phone it will work on T-Mobile's 3G / 4G if they support Band II (1900) and/or Band IV (1700/2100)

From the tmo website they have a disclaimer for byod..not too sure if i can paste the link but anyways according to the site if it's a Non-T-Mobile phone it will work on T-Mobile's 3G / 4G if they support Band II (1900) and/or Band IV (1700/2100)

According to information I can find, mostly Chinese, a Moto G XT1550 dual-SIM doesn't have those US 3G/4G bands and modes, as they're not required in the domestic markets. And willmyphonework.net seems to indicate that as well. :thumbsupdroid:

Sure we've been here before, someone had a China Unicom branded Moto G, and only having 2G EDGE service in the US.

Last edited:
Only solution here is... buy a new phone, annoyingly.

Yeh, and don't try to be cheap and grey import from Hong Kong or something. :thumbsupdroid:

And considering that Google just neutered the heck out of Project Ara, that's not even a viable avenue anymore. :mad:

Well frankly Google has many ideas, and buys many companies, only to be cancelled or shut-down in the end.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products#Discontinued_products_and_services

Found this today. Older thread but may still be relevant. Although written for S5, seems that others have used it on other brands/ models. A little over my head but haven't had the need to try.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5/general/how-to-add-rf-lte-frequency-bands-to-t2886059
I didn't even know that would have been possible. I too think it's ridiculous how some manufacturers (looking SPECIFICALLY at LG right now) even then arbitrarily won't support unlocked phones and how it's still such a minority to even find phones that have a comprehensive support for the number of bands that a market needs.

It's why I'd been especially pissed with what has recently happened with Project Ara; it was supposed to be a fully modular phone that one could upgrade and change any aspect of the phone, much like one customizes a PC. It would have meant being able to upgrade the CPU to keep up with a new build of Android/[insert OS here], more RAM for better multitasking, a new GPU module to match an upgraded screen front with a higher resolution, as well as a separate radio module to be able to connect to just about any carrier you damn well please. Instead, as a side effect of Google taking over, the original creators of the project walked out and the company promptly neutered the scope of the project by making everything we wanted modular as non-removable elements, including the battery.

I would have killed for something with comprehensive bands support (e.g. MXP, Nexus 6p, iPhone 6S plus) that would have allowed a larger, extended battery. That was pretty much the thing I was hoping to do with Project Ara. But now Google killed that for me.

The thread opens up a lot of possibilities. I have always thought that frequency bands in hand sets were a hardware issue. You only had access to what was built into it.
Reading the thread seems to suggest that the handset is capable but certain bands are disabled and only need to be enabled.

Just whant to put this out there hopefully people will pick up on this'', I just got a HomTom and I love it ! Only issue is stuck on 2g! I was told by Amazon it was compatible in my location and sometimes 4g pops up but for a quick sec.FOOD for THOUGHT ''; I believe and am guranteeing the reason they do this with the bands is so they can control every thing . Everything''!!!. So look deeper in to that and take it for what it's worth!!! Now I have to go take my boat anchor and find a phone that they can't control''.

Just whant to put this out there hopefully people will pick up on this'', I just got a HomTom and I love it ! Only issue is stuck on 2g! I was told by Amazon it was compatible in my location and sometimes 4g pops up but for a quick sec.FOOD for THOUGHT ''; I believe and am guranteeing the reason they do this with the bands is so they can control every thing . Everything''!!!. So look deeper in to that and take it for what it's worth!!! Now I have to go take my boat anchor and find a phone that they can't control''.

You're in the US? Was it actually Amazon who told you, or some third-party Amazon affiliate vendor located in Hong Kong or something?

I believe and am guranteeing the reason they do this with the bands is so they can control every thing . Everything''!!!.
Can you be more specific? Like who does what with the bands, and what this gives them control of?

I will need evidence before I find some vast and obscure conspiracy a simpler explanation than miss-selling of an incompatible phone.

Back
Top Bottom