• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Build OTA, now text messaging not working.

MNDude

Lurker
My ZTE ZMAX received a few build OTA. I allowed the install. All seemed to process properly. Now all text messages are showing "download" when new text comes in. Press on download, and download always fails. New build is Z970V1.0.0B34. My wife's phone is still on 0B33, and her messages are fine. Any ideas?

Messages are showing download, and download always fails. Sounds like the APN details might have got reset or cleared during the update. You might have to re-enter them.

It looks like the issue may have cleared up on it's own this afternoon. I did do a restart though, so that may have contributed to the resolution. Thanks all!

Any idea what the update does?
I'm not sure. I thought I might find that info here, but haven't yet. I normally apply updates when they come in, and have never had an issue before today. I was glad to see it clear up before it created serious issues for me.

My ZTE ZMAX received a few build OTA. I allowed the install. All seemed to process properly. Now all text messages are showing "download" when new text comes in. Press on download, and download always fails. New build is Z970V1.0.0B34. My wife's phone is still on 0B33, and her messages are fine. Any ideas?

I hope this helps...

NOTE: THIS IS FOR STOCK SOFTWARE, MORE IMPORTANTLY STOCK RECOVERY AND NOT TWRP.
THIS IS NOT OFFICIALLY ENDORSED BY T-MOBILE (yet?) - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE. IF YOU ARE ROOTED, THIS UPDATE PERMANENTLY BLOCKS ROOT ACCESS, STAY AWAY.
There are several of us here who bought the ZTE Zmax a couple of months ago due to a good clearance special at Walmart, and we were disappointed to find out that while Band 12 was advertised on the box, it required a software update to enable it. While some managed to enable the band 12 radio with root software, by and large most of us were wondering if and when an official update would come out.
Well as it turns out, the update did come out, on September 1st in fact. A helpful T-Mobile rep came by this subreddit and helped dig out the details on the update and get them posted to the official documentation page, but some of us were still wondering "Okay, so if this update came out on September 1st, why does my Zmax keep saying it's up-to-date?" I myself was in this camp, and for the past two months I've been frustrated, wondering why someone couldn't just upload the B33 update.zip file so we could do it ourselves manually. I've checked every couple of days and each time it kept saying my Zmax was up to date when it clearly wasn't.
So anyway, about a week ago a rooted user named cxoakes on HowardForums managed to capture the update.zip file before he flashed back to stock so he could apply the update himself. Hallelujah, that's the key. I've been searching for that file for the past 2 months.
I downloaded it from his Mega link (roughly 220 MB), put it on the root of my Zmax's external SD card, and went to Settings - About Phone - Additional System Updates - Storage Card Updates, and the phone recognized the update.zip file and let me proceed. It gave me a popup box saying that my data would be deleted, but I went ahead anyway. It rebooted the phone, installed the update, booted up and "optimized" my apps, and returned me to my home screen with no data loss whatsoever. I'm now on Android 4.4.4 and phone build B33, and I've permanently lost the ability to root the phone, but honestly I cared way more about Band 12 support than that.
LTE discovery now shows Band 12 in certain areas where it would drop coverage entirely otherwise and VoLTE seems to work just fine from my limited testing. I ran both CellMapper and Sensorly on my drive up to a very rural area and can now see the newly-discovered Band 12 towers on the route. Pretty sweet.
So I guess my question is, why does the official T-Mobile support website not offer this as an alternate option for those of us who could not manage to get the OTA update? Is there a risk of bricking when installing the update from the SD card? I'm going to guess yes and put a warning at the top of this post just in case.
Finally just paging a few people who have been trying to keep on top of this situation: /u/zukats /u/celestisdiabolus /u/Logvin /u/ryanw1998 /u/vampirepomeranian

Just as a point of clarification, this latest update that appeared at the end of May take you from B33 to B34. I might also note that the T-Mobile support site does not show the B34 update of this post.

Correct, good4life...T-Mobile.com looks as if they are in the dark about it .....I just got my OTA update to B34 last night at midnight & stupidly decided to just run the update before checking here first. Anyway no issues but also no noticeable enhancements either. Who knows what the small 16 MB update contains, but until T-Mobile tells us, it's a mystery.

BTW I didn't fully charge it to 100%. I was at 55% & I ran it anyway. Nothing bad happened, but I guess I could have bricked my poor phone. I got lucky? Why did it say to fully charge it if it was going to let me do it anyway?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-06-00-48-21.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-06-00-48-21.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 192
Hey, Folks, is this b34 update really adroid 4.4.4 (as it says on t-mo web site)?

I'm still on 4.4.2 b22, and did not notice when it became 4.4.4.

Second question.. Is this b34 still rootable by latest kingroot?

Just as a point of clarification, this latest update that appeared at the end of May take you from B33 to B34. I might also note that the T-Mobile support site does not show the B34 update of this post.

Correct, good4life...T-Mobile.com looks as if they are in the dark about it .....I just got my OTA update to B34 last night at midnight & stupidly decided to just run the update before checking here first. Anyway no issues but also no noticeable enhancements either. Who knows what the small 16 MB update contains, but until T-Mobile tells us, it's a mystery.

BTW I didn't fully charge it to 100%. I was at 55% & I ran it anyway. Nothing bad happened, but I guess I could have bricked my poor phone. I got lucky? Why did it say to fully charge it if it was going to let me do it anyway?

TIA!

I'm not rooted so can not answer your question. Post #8 in this thread may shed some light on your question.

OK, thank you... Post #8 seems a bit outdated tho.. It tells one cannot root b33, whereas we know now that one can, with the latest kinkroot.

So I'm extremely curious whether one can root b34 as well?
It seems the only difference between b33 and b34 is the "stagefright fix"
(cited as "messaging improvements") on the t-mo web site?

If the t mobile zte zmax b34 ends up being rootable I wonder if i could just flash the b22 modem in order to flash a different rom with no text and data issues

If the t mobile zte zmax b34 ends up being rootable I wonder if i could just flash the b22 modem in order to flash a different rom with no text and data issues

It should be, the newest b14 update for metro can be rooted with kingroot so the same should be true for T-Mobile b34.

Is your phone stock unrooted on b34?

I hope this helps...

....and I've permanently lost the ability to root the phone, but honestly I cared way more about Band 12 support than that.
the phone is easy to root, no such thing "permanently lost the ability to root".
almost everyone is on the rooted Zmax with B33 or b34 firmware

Back
Top Bottom