• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New G3, Wanna Root, Clean, and K.I.S.S.

Hi all,

Been a loooooong time since I've been here. I would call myself a quasi-n00b. Only last week did I get rid of my old, trusty HTC Thunderbolt! Got me a new G3.

I am not a "gadget guy". I don't swap devices like underwear. I want to get something and keep it as long as possible. I loved my old T-Bolt because I spent the time back then, rooted it, put on BAMF, and made it MY phone, not what Verizon or HTC wanted it to be. Simply put, I want to do the same thing with the G3, but I really wanna K.I.S.S. if possible.

Basically, I just want to clean this thing of all the crap bloatware as easily and safely as I can. I found this thread over at Android Central that I think will help. But after many a Google search, my head is spinning about all the rooting stuff. I don't think I want a custom ROM or anything that complex. I just want a "clean" phone. So a few questions...

1. How do I root and gain access?

2. Best bloatware removal methods? The phone has 32GB built-in and I have a 32GB card in it, so I don't have any space issues. I just want it to RUN better and more efficiently. Should I just freeze bloatware with Titanium Backup? Or should I go through whatever-motions-needed to actually remove them?

3. Ramifications of rooting? Will I get updates from LG/Verizon? If not, is that a problem? If so, would those undo what I do, forcing me to redo? Will phone warranty die? Can I undo the rooting and return to factory?

4. Anything I am forgetting to ask?

THANK YOU!

CB

Back
Top Bottom