• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Idea for helping save battery...

ewingr

Android Enthusiast
I have a friend that sent me this message today, which sounds like a great idea:

I've been messing with setcpu and trying out some underclocking profiles. Underclocking while the screen is off as well as reducing the CPU power has gotten me 75% battery left after 8 hours. This is with constant emails but no wireless, bluetooth, or gps. This is better than I was getting under windows mobile.

My batt is at 24% now, 7:30pm ET. Unplugged at 6am , and went through about 1.5 hours of Robo Defense (very cpu intensive game), an hour of browsing on WiFi, quarter hour of calls, autosync on, gmail active, 5 mins of GTalk chats, Daily Briefing refreshing every half hour, two short Market browsing sessions, half hour of music playing, half hour of trying to lock onto GPS. I am happy with this :) I think default clock management by the OS is doing just fine for me.

I have a friend that sent me this message today, which sounds like a great idea:

I've been messing with setcpu and trying out some underclocking profiles. Underclocking while the screen is off as well as reducing the CPU power has gotten me 75% battery left after 8 hours. This is with constant emails but no wireless, bluetooth, or gps. This is better than I was getting under windows mobile.

SetCPU requires rooting your phone first, though, and not everyone is willing to travel into that territory and the risks/gotchas that come with it.

Yep. I understand that.

However there is one thing that I consider a must, and it requires rooting: doing a good, complete backup. Can't do it w/o root. But then, this is delving into a different topic.

Well, my buddy that told me about the topic I used to start this thread just stopped by.

He is playing with an Android 2.2 ROM that has been installed on his HTC HD2, which also is undervolted a bit. And of course, tweaking with SETCPU>

He said he is getting email and messages etc as normal; has full CPU and good power when using it (BTW...the Quadrant readings on his phone is coming in at over 1700). His phone has been up for 24 hours, 15 minutes when he stopped in, and he had 58% battery left. Before he started tweaking (and I think before the undervolted ROM), he was getting 11-12 hours on a charge.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Back
Top Bottom