• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Incredible! Need Root!

jreed2560

Android Expert
So I just got my hands on an Incredible. It seems as though the easiest way to root "was" unrevoked which as I understand is broken with the latest OTA, which I noobily accepted last night as I activated my phone. Is there another manual way to root this guy?

As far as I can tell, unrevoked is the way to go. While it does not work currently, they reported earlier this week they had a fix and were testing it. I imagine it'll be up and running soon, hopefully within the next few days.

Yeah, been watching that Twitter feed for the word. I need root too for a Nov OTA piece of crap update which, imo, was only to break root in the first place.

Soon, however. I suspect it will happen by Monday or Tuesday. And I thought Verizon pushed the update and not HTC. Either way... still booo..

Verizon pushes the updates to the phones and of course they put there little tweaks in (ala Slacker, VCast apps) but I imagine what broke root actually came from HTC.

I guess I'm lucky, still haven't gotten an OTA notification

and I would think HTC would have no problem with people rooting the phone...I mean it is all about open-share and all

I just have to ask, and I'm not meaning to hi-jack this thread or anything. However, I am curious about one thing. If it is not illegal (I could be wrong on this) to root your phone, why is HTC putting a stop to it? I guess my thing is, is they like to make it hard on us I'm assuming? LOL

you may be able to downgrade to a lower version then root and s-off then get the OTA update, but probably not.

just because its officially "legal" to hack your phone, doesn't mean mfg. and carriers have to allow you to do it. Google has to code to android and they distribute it freely and openly to phone mfg. and the mfg. are the ones that put the lock downs in place. Just ask anyone who has a new motorola device.

I just have to ask, and I'm not meaning to hi-jack this thread or anything. However, I am curious about one thing. If it is not illegal (I could be wrong on this) to root your phone, why is HTC putting a stop to it? I guess my thing is, is they like to make it hard on us I'm assuming? LOL

I think they don't want people rooting the phone because they don't want to fix the things that you can break when rooting. That is why rooting voids your warranty. In theory you could root your phone and "brick" it, but there is no proof that rooting was the cause of it being "bricked" and HTC/Verizon have to foot the bill to replace it if it's still under warranty.

I think it is more VZW blocking the root than HTC. VZW wants to squeeze every last penny out of you and steer you to apps they get paid licensing fees for.

Back
Top Bottom