• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Nexus S - How to update from 2.3

Geekoid

Lurker
I recently broke my Nexus S(Android 4.0.x). Since I have a replacement warranty,I took it back and got a replacement Nexus S. The replacement has Android 2.3.x on it.
I've had it for a week and it still hasn't upgraded. Do I need to notify Google that the phone needs to be upgraded? I'm not sure how Google tracks which phones has been upgraded. For All I know they have a database that says this phone number has been upgraded so they never check again.

I keep getting conflicting information on who is responsible for the update, Google or T-Mobile.

Android - 2.3.4
Baseband Version - I9020AUCKE1
Kernel - 2.6.35.7
Build - GTJ61

I recently broke my Nexus S(Android 4.0.x). Since I have a replacement warranty,I took it back and got a replacement Nexus S. The replacement has Android 2.3.x on it.
I've had it for a week and it still hasn't upgraded.
Try doing it by going into Settings, About phone, System updates and have it check several times. Or you can follow these instructions to update manually from the files from Google:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/59...lly-bean-gingerbread-nexus-s.html#post4804187

Try doing it by going into Settings, About phone, System updates and have it check several times. Or you can follow these instructions to update manually from the files from Google:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/59...lly-bean-gingerbread-nexus-s.html#post4804187

Thanks for the reply. I've tried going to system update in the phone several times, and really don't want to manually do it if I don't have to. I was hoping waiting and it would auto update on it's own.. This is why I'm trying to find out:
1)Who pushes the update
2) Who tracks that the phone has been updated.
3) Do they need to be notified I have a replaced phone.

No one seems to know, so I'll give it a week and then manually update.

I don't think 'system updates' actually checks for anything, it's response seem way too fast.

Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried going to system update in the phone several times, and really don't want to manually do it if I don't have to. I was hoping waiting and it would auto update on it's own.. This is why I'm trying to find out:
1)Who pushes the update
Google pushes the notification that an update is available. However, the v2.3.6 update is months old so you may not get the notification now, hence the manual update.
2) Who tracks that the phone has been updated.
No one tracks the phone updates, it's simply a general notification and if your phone needs the update, you'll be prompted.
3) Do they need to be notified I have a replaced phone.
The replaced phone has nothing to do with GSM based systems. Only CDMA needs IMEI updates to the network when replacing a phone.
No one seems to know, so I'll give it a week and then manually update.
I don't think 'system updates' actually checks for anything, it's response seem way too fast.
It's just looking for a notification of version update, so it doesn't take long to check for that. But you can try clearing the data for the service that does the checking:

Go to Settings, Apps, All, Google Framework, Stop service, Clear data. Then go to About phone, System Updates and let it check again.

If that doesn't work after a few tries, then I suggest you do the manual updates. You'll need to update to v2.3.6, then update to v4.0.4, then update to v4.1.1 finally. After you get JB v4.1.1 installed, do a factory reset to wipe away any old data and settings, and setup the phone like new again.

Follow QuantamRand's instructions for updating to avoid the 'Error 7' message and you should be fine.
:)

I updated to 4.0.4 manually, no problems. This does show a weakness in the product. As a software developer manually upgrading was trivial. What happens if I was a consumer with no experience doing this? That consumer should be able to call someone and let them know they need the update. Or the phones should notify the database what version it has and the database can then push out the update. For OS a version or two behind, obviously.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

I updated to 4.0.4 manually, no problems.
JB v4.1.x is even better.
What happens if I was a consumer with no experience doing this? That consumer should be able to call someone and let them know they need the update.
That's what carrier storefronts are for...take your phone to the store and I'm sure they could update it for you.

Of course I took it to the store front, they couldn't do anything. This is why I was trying to figure out who was responsible for tracking updates.
This is why it's a weakness.

I got an error going form 4.0.4. to 4.1.1 But I was at work so I dind't have time to troubleshoot. I'll get there this weekend.

Of course I took it to the store front, they couldn't do anything. This is why I was trying to figure out who was responsible for tracking updates.
This is why it's a weakness.
I guess they have dummies working there too.
:rolleyes:
Now that you have v4.0.4 installed, you might be able to do an OTA update when you get the notification. I updated to v4.1.2 over the air yesterday, so another update is already out there.
I got an error going form 4.0.4. to 4.1.1 But I was at work so I didn't have time to troubleshoot. I'll get there this weekend.
I hope you didn't setup v4.0.4 and then try to update to 4.1.1 and get the 'Error 7" message.
:(
If so, I mentioned before that you need to follow QuantamRand's instructions for updating to avoid the 'Error 7' message and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom