• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Phone by virgin mobile 8/22/2012 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true anymore. You can get either Samsung Galaxy SII or Galaxy SIII and even HTC EVO 4G LTE from Ting a Sprint MVNO and at very good rates and interesting plans. I will go for it, except that the speeds in Sprint and the related MVNO are not even mildly exciting.

The problem I see with Ting is that they are expensive. For example, looking at my T-Mobile $30 plan, an equivalent plan on Ting would cost over $100. The Virgin Mobile $35 plan looks like it would be over $60 with Ting -- and much more than $100 if you take advantage of the unlimited 4G.

Last, while they do have two high end phones in the Galaxy SII and SIII, you are still limited to the phones they carry. So, you are limited to three Samsung phones, the Optimus Elite (for $40 more than VM) and one Kyocera. Not to mention, as you pointed out, being on the Sprint Network -- particularly with the SIII not currently getting 4G in most areas of the US. With the SII you can get "4G", Wimax, in most large cities but can't get LTE as it is rolled out.

Upvote 0
Ting charges by the Minutes/Texts/Megabytes, so depending on how much you use, it could be cheaper, equal or more expensive.
They charge per month, but you get credited or charged the difference based on what you actually use.

They are also getting the HTC EVO 4G LTE, Motorola Photon Q (LTE), LT Viper and the Kyocera Rise shortly. They are working on getting the iPhone.

They have access to Sprint's LTE network now(small at the moment), but the kicker for me is, they roam on Verizon, just like Sprint phones do.

Reactions: schlar01
Upvote 0
Ting charges by the Minutes/Texts/Megabytes, so depending on how much you use, it could be cheaper, equal or more expensive.
They charge per month, but you get credited or charged the difference based on what you actually use.

They are also getting the HTC EVO 4G LTE, Motorola Photon Q (LTE), LT Viper and the Kyocera Rise shortly. They are working on getting the iPhone.

They have access to Sprint's LTE network now(small at the moment), but the kicker for me is, they roam on Verizon, just like Sprint phones do.

That is interesting, I looked into them a while back but I don't think they had any decent phones. If they've really got the ability to roam on Verizon I'd consider signing up.

Where do you see roaming? All I see is "Ting service is provided on the Nationwide Sprint Network.
"

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Cool, thanks. Hopefully they'll eventually allow data roaming. I'm pretty interested in that setup, just wish Sprint had faster data in my area. Verizon just activated 4G here last week but it'll probably be years before Sprint does, as it is only 75K people and they barely cover any cities. Still, the cheapest plan on Verizon or US Cell (also going 4G here soon) is $75. Compare the costs and I'm not sure why I'd want to spend the extra $30+ just for faster data.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones