• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"New" phone, old problem

Rgarner

Android Expert
That thing from the government, Sense or whatever, has been acting weird, mainly not charging right. Yesterday morning it did the black screen of near death experience, fastboot. I didn't really have time to mess with it then, or now. Is there a way to fix it fast, and not boot it out the window?

That thing from the government, Sense or whatever, has been acting weird, mainly not charging right. Yesterday morning it did the black screen of near death experience, fastboot. I didn't really have time to mess with it then, or now. Is there a way to fix it fast, and not boot it out the window?
what phone is this? "sense"? can you boot into fastboot or recovery mode?

Sense as in HTC Sense I'm guessing. Is that even still a thing? Is even HTC a thing?

Rgarner, stop hopelessly buying modern phones. They're all crap. You're facing the same exact frustrations that made me ultimately throw in the towel and return to 2010-13 again. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. It cost $49 on Amazon used, and beats any modern $49 phone. It has more features, and none of the crap. I couldn't stick with anything 'modern' because today it's all about being as bland, boring and homogenized and flat as possible. No features, annoying 'gimmicks' and inconveniencing folks(and giving your data and control over to a corporation). Unless you depend on an app or apps that demand a modern device, just check out the used market on Amazon/eBay and get a better deal on a phone for YOU.

Oh, and one other thing...

NEVER EVER EVER hit 'update' on any app. You'll be far happier leaving things alone and enjoying your device. Once you find one that works that is, just don't chance it. I'm typing this from Windows Vista.

Ha ha, I wish I had that choice. This government pile of crap was a "gift" from somebody who wants to stay in touch. It's a nice thought, anyway. I'm totally with you on "updates", which I do my best to avoid. As I believe I've mentioned, one of the first things I do when I get a device is to make sure that developer options are enabled and that USB debugging is, too. If I had my druthers iI would root the hell out of each one of them, kick googoo's nasty bloatware and other such trash to the curb, and have only what I want. As for ebay, I would use them more except for a couple of reasons: I can't really afford that and their"security" is paranoid enough that it should be wearing a diaper. When I have dealt with them they have been freaked out about if I'm really the one contacting them. Yeah, I guess I'm the only person I know who's stupid enough to bother with those idiots. If you want to lose my business, what little I have to offer, go right on annoying me with nearly constant "requests" for proof of bs.

Regardless if it's a gift or not, just rip the SIM out and find a device that fits you. You needn't live with a frustrating downgraded experience if you don't have to. It's your device in the end. My mom has bought me things in the past she thought I'd love but turns out I'm a stubborn curmudgeon that has preferences that differ from hers. She didn't cry or anything. People are mature.

a terrible man.jpg

Find a device that fits you, makes you happy. That's what matters, and what's beautiful about Android. I certainly can't use or tolerate a device that angers me the instant I touch it. That's why I got rid of everything 'modern' and found stuff that fits me. I'm happier for it, but still a bit miffed there's nothing to look forward to in the end....

Since my friend's N10 got messed up, I am trying to fix the guvmint POS for him to use. I was actually able to borrow a real laptop and download minimal adb + fastboot. The phone is not being recognized. I guess I did manage to download some drivers but maybe they aren't the right kind. When I unplugged the phone and held down the reboot key a long time it finally fired up a little, just enough that I can see it's really ok except for not charging (1 or 3%) and then off again. Those 2 times it did the regular bootup sequence instead of that abbreviated version. I want to hurry up and fix that thing before I no longer have computer access. What drivers, if any, should I download if I can? What are the commands? I posted similar material to a different thread yesterday, with no answers.

Not charging. hmmm. Let me guess, it's got USB Type C? That's a huge issue with the few modern devices I used in the past as well. Either it thinks it's charging when it ain't, and drains while 'charging' or you have to turn the blasted thing off and then plug it in and hope it eventually charges and works.

I want to kill whomever thought USB type C was a good idea.

I checked out the government phone. It's a Sense TW-102 by Great Talent Technologies, provided by something called Assurance. Would it be possible to download drivers for this?

Not sure. I guess it's not an HTC then. Whenever I read or hear 'Sense' the only thing that my mind produces is HTC Sense.

As for plugging it into a PC, it should recognize it as a standard USB disk if you enable MTP (it should say 'connected as installer' in notification bar when plugged into a laptop, which you then tap and tell it to use 'MTP' and it shows as a USB drive)

But then that works on anything running Vista or 7, but no luck from my attempts with Windows 10/11. But then 10/11 are garbage so it doesn't surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom