• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New sd card and upgrading to cm10

Hello I recently did a dual boot with my nook color using cm7.2 and have some question.
is it worth it to upgrade to cm10, does it run better or worse or what?
how would i upgrade to cm10
I found a bigger sd card lying around and want to use it instead of the one i have is there any way to do that.
since i want to keep my B&N I prefer using the sd card method that being said some apps that require an sd card for storage or one like easy install that lets me install .apk from the sd card do not work it says no sd card mounted i assume its because the os is running from it but is there a fix for this or am i just doing it wrong?

My experience is that CM7 is already too slow on the NC and CM9 or CM10 is worse, but read this for another opinion: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...5-how-can-i-use-5gb-mnt-emmc.html#post5429670

If you don't have a class 2 or class 4 Sandisk sdcard, you should seriously consider buying one since it's the fastest for this type of thing. Even faster (and easier since sdcard always fail) would be to replace the B&N rom with a custom rom: http://androidforums.com/b-n-nookcolor/367116-how-download-install-cm7-run-off-sd-card.html

Upvote 0
ok i'll just stick with cm7.2 I dont see any reason to change unless they run better and i guess they dont.
I don't know what class my sd card is is there a way to find out?

I still want to know if i can swap my sd cards without losing data.

And if its possible to use apps like easy install and other apps that require external storage to work with a sd boot.

edit: I just looked at the 4gb that i want to transfer my stuff to and use is a class 4

Upvote 0
It's not easy copying stuff from an old card to a new card. Probably easier to just create a new one with the link I gave you (from the sticky in the root section). If you don't use the stock B&N rom, replacing it and using your new card would give you 4 gb of sdcard to use for apps and we wouldn't have to discuss how to fix it in a year when your rom on a card dies.

FWIW, 4 gb is still puny, esp when you're complaining about not enough room on your sdcard. Whatever isn't used by Android, is set aside as the sdcard. In the case of the 4 gb card, this would be 2-3gb.

The only way I know of to make your old card bigger would be to have 2 usb sdcard adapters on your computer (more reliable than built-in card adapters) and boot off a cd that lets you repartition your hard drive (like bootitng). Then copy all the partitions from the old to the new and finally resizing the 4th partition to use all the available space. In theory this should work if your card isn't failing yet.

Upvote 0
Well my 1 gB I think is a class2 and the 4 is a class 4 so I definatly want to up grade to it.
So can I unroot my nook then reroot with the 4 gb?
And I think you misunderstood. The apps say they need external storage like 50mb for example and I have like 300 free on the SD card but I guess the apps don't see it as an SD card is there a fix for that?

Upvote 0
Sandisk brand class 2 and class 4 have tested to be the fasted for use under Android. This means they are fastest for use for random reading and writing small files. A class 16 sdcard, which may sound faster, is faster at writing large files sequentially (think video or large pictures). If you have a different brand it's possibly slower. These stats are based on a number of users with different cards, posting their results about a year (or two) ago.

Because the rom is on your sdcard, unrooting or anything else, will have no effect. The rom is on the card. The only way to get it on the other one is like I mentioned, using a partition utility or starting over from scratch with the new card. It's possible you could boot up your NC with one card and back up the card's sdcard to your computer via usb, then boot off the new card and restore the sdcard's content to the new card, but I doubt that will work as you'd like. By default, only the first partition is seen by the computer when plugged directly into your computer.

When you install an app, usually it's installed in the data partition and the sdcard might be used for data. Some apps (often larger apps) install only on the sdcard. My point is multiple partitions could be full and causing the error. I like freespace for showing how much room is available in all of them.

BTW, there are other things that can report the error you describe besides a full partition. One of them would be if too many apps are installed. On some devices there is a limit to 50 apps installed on the sdcard, but that usually presents as a "sdcard removed" error.

Upvote 0
I tried running CM9 ICS and it was a disaster - slow and it crashed frequently - especially the browser. However, CM10 is different, my experiences have been positive and I actually would recommend it, youtube plays okay (not perfect) and the browser is rock solid - even if it crashes, you can press the home button and go right back into the browser. Only nightly builds available so far.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones