• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Virgin Mobile... No DATA!! Still Not WORKING!

Ok... as most of you know and have read my situation from April 11th, here is the final email from Virgin Mobile in answer to my question of:

"Why is it that only after you restarting my month did it work again if your outage was resolved and fixed, then why didn't my data work after April 19th?? I'm confused by this and if this was a local outage (only effecting my home area zip code) then why wasn't this working at my work which is over 30 miles away??!!! I even ran the RTN and resetting my phone at work and still no data. I tried all the troubleshooting possible to get this to work after April 19th (after this so called local outage was resolved) and up to the other day the data was still NOT working... This is my question if you can research this for me I would appreciate it so it does not happen again please! ...Read all of my email and research this please. Thank you"

And this was their reply:

"According to our records, this issue was occasioned by a local outage taking place in your area. Therefore, you cannot avoid this from happening again on your end, but you can be sure that our Network Team is always working hard to provide a more reliable service."

And I knew they weren't answering my question... so after I sent back my reply saying that I would like an answer to my question this is what they sent to me:

"As stated before, the phone was being affected by an issue reported. Since your phone's network was the main issue, the device had the same difficulty connecting to another area's network. Once the issue was resolved and we reset the service by crediting your account, the service was properly restore."

"Since your phone's network was the main issue..." So my phone has a network built in?? HAHA and it was the 'main issue'?? oh gosh come on people. I guess my questions will not be answered... maybe their google translator wasn't working too well for them to not understand my questions. Oh well.

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem in the NYC metro area. I have not had 3G Data for a week. Wifi, and 4G works (in the limited areas that support 4g). VM phone reps are clueless. I have the HTC Evo 3D phone.

As has been posted on this, and other threads, apparently Virgin Mobile is in the process of rolling their accounts into Sprint's system. There seems to be a glitch where 3G service is HIGHLY throttled (to the point of uselessness) due to previous TOTAL 3G usage. Once the account resets with a monthly payment, 3G usage zeros out and is restored. In other words, Sprint's system views the old VM account as having maxed out 3G service for the month and throttles it down, even though it has not been used.

A Virgin Mobile tech went to the lengths of needlessly replacing my phone (an Elite) and it still did not resolve the problem of no 3G. However, the day my auto-payment processed for my new month, 3G service was restored. I have had good 3G service since.

Virgin Mobile's CSRs are CLUELESS (or have been kept in the dark) as to what this problem is, and how to resolve it. This loss of 3G service is costing Virgin Mobile money and customers.

Upvote 0
As has been posted on this, and other threads, apparently Virgin Mobile is in the process of rolling their accounts into Sprint's system. There seems to be a glitch where 3G service is HIGHLY throttled (to the point of uselessness) due to previous TOTAL 3G usage. Once the account resets with a monthly payment, 3G usage zeros out and is restored. In other words, Sprint's system views the old VM account as having maxed out 3G service for the month and throttles it down, even though it has not been used.

A Virgin Mobile tech went to the lengths of needlessly replacing my phone (an Elite) and it still did not resolve the problem of no 3G. However, the day my auto-payment processed for my new month, 3G service was restored. I have had good 3G service since.

Virgin Mobile's CSRs are CLUELESS (or have been kept in the dark) as to what this problem is, and how to resolve it. This loss of 3G service is costing Virgin Mobile money and customers.

This sounds like a class action suit just waiting to happen. Granted, $35 for one month isn't that much, but you multiply that by a few million subscribers who did not get one months worth of data service... it will make some lawyer an easy payday.

Upvote 0
This sounds like a class action suit just waiting to happen. Granted, $35 for one month isn't that much, but you multiply that by a few million subscribers who did not get one months worth of data service... it will make some lawyer an easy payday.

Yep, some lawyers may get richer.

From what I have gathered from other threads, the occasional Virgin Mobile CSR that is aware of the problem, and knows how to fix it, can only do so by getting a payment to reset the month. If a problem ticket is opened and sent higher up, it takes weeks to get action, usually by replacing the phone, or some "system" or "tower" fix. By then, the real solution of a new monthly payment rolling has restored 3G service.

As I am usually on wifi, it took me two weeks to notice the loss of 3G service. My thought is that MANY MANY customers never notice an outage at all, and that the outage only affects certain customers that fit some sort of "alphabetical by height" criteria only known to a limited few people at Sprint and Virgin Mobile.

Upvote 0
"From what I have gathered from other threads, the occasional Virgin Mobile CSR that is aware of the problem, and knows how to fix it, can only do so by getting a payment to reset the month. If a problem ticket is opened and sent higher up, it takes weeks to get action, usually by replacing the phone, or some "system" or "tower" fix. By then, the real solution of a new monthly payment rolling has restored 3G service."

This is why I demanded they restore my monthly service by giving me the $35 credit before I cancel my account... once it was restored and Data restored and tested to be all good then I'll pay them next months bill until the rest of my life, as I've done in the past 6 months. You can't pay for something that's not working.

Thanks for all your comments, its great that the best CSR's here are us on this forum!... do you hear that Virgin Mobile??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones